Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
First- read the newbie threads and look at ideas there. Second, unless you're doing long hwy miles a 250 is not too small a cc size. The Ninja 250 (more a standard with fairiings rather than a sportbike) is a great ride and used can be had for $1500.
BUTTTTT- if I were looking for something to start with and buying used I would look at a Triumph Bonni Black (pick your year- I like them all), a Kawasaki w650 (Bonni clone) Moto Guzzi Breva 750, HD Sporty 883, or Suz Bandit 600. All can be had for at or under $4k
Saw my first 09 Ninja 250 today with a snazzy paint job at the dealership. Very sharp looking. I even asked what it was... and nobody laughed at me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I came across this very interesting article on first bikes.

Introduction to Motorcycles

Maybe a Moderatorratorray can put it in the sticky post.
Excellent post! I just wish Honda (or any other MFG for that matter) would make the Rebel 450 again. Now that was/would be an ideal starter bike.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
korie
Registered Member

i think actually found my perfect starter motorcycle and one that i will likely not get bored of too soon. it is a Honda 500 made in 1974 with just over 1600 original miles on the bike. cool as hell looking bike and should be a lot of fun to ride. and for $1400 it seems like it should be great for me. they said the bike has been in storage all these years and it definately looks it. i will likely need to turn a wrench or more, but that is part of the fun to me.

if i perhaps do get "tired" of it i will just look into getting a bigger motorcycle in some time, but keep this to ride for commuting or for a friend that wishes to ride (after they take the safety course and have the gear as well).

and even though a 250 may seem at first like it is too small try and get one on the road and get a real feel for it. i believe that is the main thing people are trying to say about going for the smaller sizes first. once you realize that even the smallest motorcycle has far greater power than we do that is when we are ready to move up just a little.

buying a large motorcycle for a first bike is kind of like saying that you would really love to learn how to fight so you will just jump right in the cage with Anderson Silva. you will not have time to learn anything by fighting him because you will be tasting his knee and be broken within moments. main difference there is that you would live through fighting him...

Last edited by korie : 01-22-2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling
korie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"i will likely need to turn a wrench or more, but that is part of the fun to me. "

Old School! I love it!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

CB500s are great little bikes. Make sure it shifts smoothly. Check the chain and sprockets for uneven wear. You'll probably need to replace the fork seals and maybe the springs, but those are pretty cheap. Go to the DennisKirk.com website and check the prices on oil, filter, the springs, fork oil, seals and brake pads and shoes on back (or was the the rear disc year) and a Haynes manual. Most of the things on this bike you should be able to do yourself. Send pics when you get her.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

OH- they make great cafe racers
Old 01-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by korie View Post
i think actually found my perfect starter motorcycle and one that i will likely not get bored of too soon. it is a Honda 500 made in 1974 with just over 1600 original miles on the bike. cool as hell looking bike and should be a lot of fun to ride. and for $1400 it seems like it should be great for me. they said the bike has been in storage all these years and it definately looks it. i will likely need to turn a wrench or more, but that is part of the fun to me.

if i perhaps do get "tired" of it i will just look into getting a bigger motorcycle in some time, but keep this to ride for commuting or for a friend that wishes to ride (after they take the safety course and have the gear as well).

and even though a 250 may seem at first like it is too small try and get one on the road and get a real feel for it. i believe that is the main thing people are trying to say about going for the smaller sizes first. once you realize that even the smallest motorcycle has far greater power than we do that is when we are ready to move up just a little.

buying a large motorcycle for a first bike is kind of like saying that you would really love to learn how to fight so you will just jump right in the cage with Anderson Silva. you will not have time to learn anything by fighting him because you will be tasting his knee and be broken within moments. main difference there is that you would live through fighting him...
I was commuting down the carpool lane on the 110 Fwy one evening at about 75mph when I heard this racket behind me. Lo and behold some guy on a Ninja 250 with an aftermarket pipe goes sailing past me. I sped up a bit to clock him and we has doing 85.

Modern 250s are very capable motorcycles. Hyosung has a neat 250 V-twin one might consider too.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Join the club, pal. "Do you like to watch Gladiator movies?" I mean c'mon, I'm going to have to copyright my stuff here... What's next:

ME MAD MOKE! YOU TAKE MY SALES TRAINING SESSION! YOU NOT SMART IF YOU NOT TAKE MAD MOKE TRAINING SESSION!!!
Mad? mad about what? Iam good!
I'am never mad brother, always in a great mood. HEY! Iam just trying to get people to be a little nicer,jeez?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-22-2009 at 07:40 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ha! You and AirHawk are the worst culprits. And then MOKE rags on me. Sheesh.
Duly noted!