Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Granted all my experince is trail riding but i always kept with full face helmets, as for jackets we always wore denim but I wouldn't suggest that, the moment denim gets in a fight with asphalt, well lets just say the road wins. Speaking of which have you looked at protective pants/chaps/overpants?

As for boots i always wore Dr. Martens. Covered the ankle, lasted forever. Personally I like 10 eyes, when i was on a bike i wore them laced all the way up with knee socks that i turned down over the top of the boot. Remember with jump boots that the leather on top is usually unfinished and can leave a nasty cut on the back of your leg/ankle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Boots? Jump boots work great and are less expensive than boots with "motorcycle" printed on the label. I've had good jump boots last through two resoles. In fact my first pair I got in Nam in '68 lasted me until 1985 and that's 200K miles of motorcycle riding. Get good ones like Corcorans. Not the cheap Chinese knockoffs. 8 rings boots are better... easier to lace.
Seruzawa, you are now my new best friend, i've been looking for new jump boots since i grew out of my size 12 Dr. Martens...(I have wide feet) after burning through a pair of cheap vinal boots i think i just found whay my next boots are going to be!

Last edited by newagetwotone : 03-03-2009 at 02:18 PM.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

The Official Corcoran and Matterhorn Footwear Website: 1500: Mens10” Original Jump Boot

$153.95

Been a while since I bought jump boots (New age Army boots are brown). My last pair cost me about $40, IIRC.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Wow, $40... damn I wish they still sold them for that. as it is im going to have to sneak them in thehouse if i want to buy them... Actually Corcoran makes a pair of tactical boots that a couple places are selling for like $60 looks like those will be my next pair of boots... i already have a pair of tan slip ons for working at my new job, I think the hospital would look down on combat boots...
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
The Official Corcoran and Matterhorn Footwear Website: 1500: Mens10” Original Jump Boot

$153.95

Been a while since I bought jump boots (New age Army boots are brown). My last pair cost me about $40, IIRC.

Cool website, I've been thinking about new boots, unfortunately the Combat Tours aren't working as well as I would have hoped. I've also been looking at these

http://www.stompersboots.com/fots_chippewa/Rally1.jpg

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh cripes. Even more scammers with their "check this great link I found" genius marketing.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Oh cripes. Even more scammers with their "check this great link I found" genius marketing.
LOL "Hey guys, lookee here"......

I do like the Corcorans, I could wear them to ride then all day at work without having to keep a pair of work shoes here. The Combat Tours are kinda clunky for crawling around boilers ladders and piping

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
cnisingle
Registered Member

Good stuff here guys. I'm a newbie as well. Just bought an 07 Honda Shadow 750 last week. I have a Shoei modular helmet, a Joe Rocket mesh jacket on the way, and Alpinestar gloves. I'll get a pair a mesh pants pretty soon and I ride around in my Red Wing steel toe slip on cowboy boots. After reading this, I'm guessing that's not the best boot to ride with?
cnisingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnisingle View Post
Good stuff here guys. I'm a newbie as well. Just bought an 07 Honda Shadow 750 last week. I have a Shoei modular helmet, a Joe Rocket mesh jacket on the way, and Alpinestar gloves. I'll get a pair a mesh pants pretty soon and I ride around in my Red Wing steel toe slip on cowboy boots. After reading this, I'm guessing that's not the best boot to ride with?
While I ride with steel toe Redwings they are laced. Slip ons, slip off and fly through the air. If you've ever seen any crashes with tennis shoes on youtube you'll see their shoes fling off the split second they hit the pavement. Get some lace ups.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #19
korie
Registered Member

so after a lot of setbacks and just a bunch of garbage going on in my life i finally bought a bike yesterday. 1981 yamaha virago 750.

i know it is bigger than what i likely should have started with, but i only paid $450 for the bike. needs a starter which is why the price was a low one. he rode the bike to my house so i know the thing runs well enough to learn on when it is running. yesterday was just another really crappy day in my life and wanted to do something to try and make it at least a little better.

i wanted to stop back in and say a HUGE thank you to all for all of the input. while the starter is getting put into the bike i will be buying the gear with the info you all have helped with.
korie is offline   Reply With Quote