Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
You guys know that it isn't that easy!

Stopping distances have WAY too many variables. If I recall rightly, the shortest braking distance MCN recorded was on a Valkyrie, and that stood for quite a while. Big brakes, big front tire, and most importantly, the ability to grab a huge handful of brake without worrying about the rear tire lifting or trying to pass you.

As you mentioned earlier, it's not the bike, it's whether the bike is 'in the right hands.

Were there any 125cc in that compairison? Just curious.
As many variables as their are in Braking, weight would have to be the leading factor in stopping in my opinion.
Let's line em up TZ125 against a GL1800. 60mph to a stop.

Some of the tracks I'v ridden, you can only cut a good lap time if your braking so hard and deep that your rear tire come's off the ground braking up to certain turns. This usually would ensure a good lap time.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #32
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Some of the tracks I'v ridden, you can only cut a good lap time if your braking so hard and deep that your rear tire come's off the ground braking up to certain turns. This usually would ensure a good lap time.
I have never raced. So take this for what you will.

I have watched three seasons of Moto GP on Speed channel, both small bikes and the big boys. I have never seen any of the, what is arguably the world's best, riders consistently brake so hard their rear tire is coming off the ground. Perhaps it's your technique? (And please don't post a picture as an example, because this will not prove your point.)

I posit that if their rear tire is coming off the ground during a race that this is an "oh sh*t" moment.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Sorry not trying to be rude?
I don't expect anything less, Fozzy.

...and "grabbing a customer’s Goldwing and see what happens" doesn't exactly sound like it would provide solid test results.

"Don't just read something and except it to be completely accurate unless you've done it yourself?"
-Thanks cupcake, I'll try to keep your life lessons in mind with everything I do. Kind of like my own personal Horatio Alger.

Last edited by BrowningBAR : 01-20-2009 at 03:19 PM.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #34
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I have never raced. So take this for what you will.

I have watched three seasons of Moto GP on Speed channel, both small bikes and the big boys. I have never seen any of the, what is arguably the world's best, riders consistently brake so hard their rear tire is coming off the ground. Perhaps it's your technique? (And please don't post a picture as an example, because this will not prove your point.)

I posit that if their rear tire is coming off the ground during a race that this is an "oh sh*t" moment.
If you watch the riding styles of Ben Bostrom and Mat Mladin in the AMA you will see that rear tire come off the ground a few times during the races. In WSBK Haga and Corser do it. I don't think that the weight bias will allow the 800 GP bikes to do it with the carbon brakes and all. But I can remember a rain race in Australia on the 990 (they run steel disc in rain) where Nicky had the bike off the ground at least 4 times during the race after the track started going dry. Obviously, they're not trying to do it. It screws with corner speed. But it happens more than you'd think.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #35
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
If you watch the riding styles of Ben Bostrom and Mat Mladin in the AMA you will see that rear tire come off the ground a few times during the races. In WSBK Haga and Corser do it. I don't think that the weight bias will allow the 800 GP bikes to do it with the carbon brakes and all. But I can remember a rain race in Australia on the 990 (they run steel disc in rain) where Nicky had the bike off the ground at least 4 times during the race after the track started going dry. Obviously, they're not trying to do it. It screws with corner speed. But it happens more than you'd think.
Sure it happens. I don't argue that at all. I just argue the point that doing it will make your lap times faster (ideal), as Moke is implying. Sorry, Mokester.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #36
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Sure it happens. I don't argue that at all. I just argue the point that doing it will make your lap times faster (ideal), as Moke is implying. Sorry, Mokester.
I do not think I said ideal, what I said was that anytime at this particular track which was a point and shoot track. Every person that ran the best times would usually bring their rear tire off the ground. Iam not implying it works at every track, but some it will help.

No need to appologize, a moment ago you didnt even think it occured. At all.

If you enter a turn at 90 on the back wheel, thats usually faster than 80 not on the back wheel? isn't it? What part of this equation don't you get?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-23-2009 at 09:19 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #37
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I don't expect anything less, Fozzy.

...and "grabbing a customer’s Goldwing and see what happens" doesn't exactly sound like it would provide solid test results.

"Don't just read something and except it to be completely accurate unless you've done it yourself?"
-Thanks cupcake, I'll try to keep your life lessons in mind with everything I do. Kind of like my own personal Horatio Alger.
Fozzy? Have you seen your avatar lately? Beside's isnt this the site where everyone likes building it themselves, doing it themselves? The test would only reinforce the mighty Gl1800 sheer stopping power,right?

Or is it the fact that a 125cc would completly shatter your on line mcn test. You read and believe, nothing worg with doing it my self as long as I followed their guidlines. Then I could see if Iam as good as their expert riders, if I couldnt stop either in the distance they did, right?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-23-2009 at 09:52 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote