Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
No you just have to be polite and sincere, hard I know.
For these guys, this thread IS polite and sincere. Surely you've seen the stuff they write when they are agitated.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Compairitivly speaking they do stop quicker, accelerate faster, and handle better. In the right hands atleast.
Well actually sportbikes do not stop quicker. Look over comparative braking data. Virtually all bikes stop between 110 and 120 feet from 60mph. MCN has a good chart.

And I'd put a supermoto over a race replica any day of the week for handling superiority on the street.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
N I C E,...
Just a guess, but your sarcasm-meter didn't come with an NIST-traceable certificate - did it?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Well actually sportbikes do not stop quicker. Look over comparative braking data. Virtually all bikes stop between 110 and 120 feet from 60mph. MCN has a good chart.

And I'd put a supermoto over a race replica any day of the week for handling superiority on the street.
Well obviously something with less weight will stop quicker, Did you have to refer to your chart for that?j/k.

I suppose if you want to take every type of bike into account, my little TZ125 will outstop any motard!

I was more so talking about a sportbike versus a cruiser.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
For these guys, this thread IS polite and sincere. Surely you've seen the stuff they write when they are agitated.
Guess that's how most end up, old and grumpy! Not me!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Well obviously something with less weight will stop quicker, Did you have to refer to your chart for that?j/k.

I suppose if you want to take every type of bike into account, my little TZ125 will outstop any motard!

"Measured stops with expert riders from 100 km/h (just over 60 mph) required an average of just 7 inches more on a Honda GL1500 Valkyrie than on Honda CBR929RR"
-Research and Testing Conducted by the Promocycle Foundation of Quebec

I wouldn't exactly call that outstopping.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:

You guys know that it isn't that easy!

Stopping distances have WAY too many variables. If I recall rightly, the shortest braking distance MCN recorded was on a Valkyrie, and that stood for quite a while. Big brakes, big front tire, and most importantly, the ability to grab a huge handful of brake without worrying about the rear tire lifting or trying to pass you.

As you mentioned earlier, it's not the bike, it's whether the bike is 'in the right hands.'

So, you reckon the young'n has already augered in somewhere? Hopefully either crappy weather of his Mom not letting him have the money has kept him off the streets.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #28
BadGun
Registered Member

Default Respect

I am about to enter the sportbike era in my life. I have purchased a used GSX-R 750 for a pretty good price due to the current economy. I also feel like this young man. I am excited, but I have a truckload of respect for what these vehicles can do. That is likely what is missing from most new users/riders repertoire. I JUST HOPE I HAVE THE PROPER AMOUNT OF RESPECT! I am an experienced cruiser and dirt bike rider, but, as you all know, it is not the same. I am sure the young rider has probably left and has never returned, but I hope he got more message than anger or resentment out of your toutings. Life is so much more precious when there are fewer days one has of it!
BadGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #29
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGun View Post
I am about to enter the sportbike era in my life. I have purchased a used GSX-R 750 for a pretty good price due to the current economy. I also feel like this young man. I am excited, but I have a truckload of respect for what these vehicles can do. That is likely what is missing from most new users/riders repertoire. I JUST HOPE I HAVE THE PROPER AMOUNT OF RESPECT! I am an experienced cruiser and dirt bike rider, but, as you all know, it is not the same. I am sure the young rider has probably left and has never returned, but I hope he got more message than anger or resentment out of your toutings. Life is so much more precious when there are fewer days one has of it!
BadGun, before you spend a cent on the bike sign up for the 2 day Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School. It'll cost ya. But what you'll learn in two days will take you years of self-taught riding. Get On BlokesSportbike.com and join the forum- it's a GA enthusiast site- and find some skilled riders to hang out with. What part of Atl?
Come out to the N. Atl Trade Center (in Norcross) and stop by my booth so we can talk a while. The Great American Motorcycle Show starts Friday.
Kirk
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #30
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
"Measured stops with expert riders from 100 km/h (just over 60 mph) required an average of just 7 inches more on a Honda GL1500 Valkyrie than on Honda CBR929RR"
-Research and Testing Conducted by the Promocycle Foundation of Quebec

I wouldn't exactly call that outstopping.
Bottom line it out stop's it no matter what the distance.

Define Expert rider?

My point is, you guys seem to get all your internet fact's, from just that, the internet? what about real world experience? You know like YOU. If you need I'll go out back and grab a customer's Gl1800 and see what happens? We can even tape it if you like.
Don't just read something and except it to be completly accurate unless you've done it yourself? Try it for yourself before you look up charts and graphs, specially on the web.Sorry not trying to be rude,just my 2?