Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
IsaacP
Registered Member

Default Questions about Dual Purpose Bikes.

Hi,
I'm planning on getting a motorcycle this summer. And having trouble deciding what kind of bike would be best for me. Originally i wanted to get a sport bike but, based on what I've read i think I'm better off avoiding them for now And going with a dual purpose bike instead, however i had some questions about them that i didnt see answered. I apologize if they were and i missed them.
1. Can Dual Purpose bikes handle traveling on the highway?
2. how do they compare to dirt bikes off-road?
3. I'm 5'7 and 125 lbs, would i be able to fit comfortably on one?
4. What one would you recommend for a beginner?

Also i am planning on taking the Motorcycle training class, the one at the DMV in my area provides the bike and the helmet. What other gear should i have?
IsaacP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Dual sport bikes come in a wide variety of sizes and capabilities. The answers to your questions vary according to which bike you are looking at.

I have a DRZ400S, with FCR39 carb and suspension mods. I have ridden it all day on the highway at 75 MPH, and taken it anywhere I would take my more dirt oriented bikes (KTM 520EXC and CR500), just slower.

However, it is not meant for the short of leg. I am 71" and would not recommend the bike for any beginning rider shorter than 69".

The WR250R is getting rave reviews from many of my friends, but it costs almost as much as the DRZ. EFI cost $, I guess.

At your stature, if you have little experience (I'm guessing no off-road experience), I'd recommend the Suzuki DR200, Yamaha XT225 or XT250, Kawasaki KLX250S, or even one of the cheap Chinese dual-sports. The Chinese bikes are cheap enough to throw away once your done.

You will learn to deal with heavier, taller bikes as your skill progresses.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

1- Yes, but not comfortably for long distances usually.
2- The heavier the bike the worse off road.
3- Sure. try the Kawasaki 250 for starters.
4- see 3. Maybe the Suzuki DR400.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

If I were learning and could buy new: 2009 Yamaha WR250R the best 250 going. If I were playing on streets that were mostly under 45mph I'd get the new XT. You have to play with one to understand. Otherwise, the DR400 is the best bang for the buck when buying used.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Since you were looking at ST bikes, I'll guess you don't plan a lot of dirt riding. Some of the bikes above have suspension and tires intended for offroad work.

If that's the case, then a Versys might be a good choice if you're not a total noob. Don't forget the ever popular Ninja 250; you can throw some bags on one and take it on the highway.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Remember, this guy stands 67" tall. The Versys, DRZ, and WR can be intimidating to a shorter beginner.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Remember, this guy stands 67" tall. The Versys, DRZ, and WR can be intimidating to a shorter beginner.
Yeah, but if he's got like a 38" inseam, he's all set!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacP View Post
Hi,
I'm planning on getting a motorcycle this summer. And having trouble deciding what kind of bike would be best for me. Originally i wanted to get a sport bike but, based on what I've read i think I'm better off avoiding them for now And going with a dual purpose bike instead, however i had some questions about them that i didnt see answered. I apologize if they were and i missed them.
1. Can Dual Purpose bikes handle traveling on the highway?
2. how do they compare to dirt bikes off-road?
3. I'm 5'7 and 125 lbs, would i be able to fit comfortably on one?
4. What one would you recommend for a beginner?

Also i am planning on taking the Motorcycle training class, the one at the DMV in my area provides the bike and the helmet. What other gear should i have?
1. Yes as long as your 400cc and above, but don't expect it to do a how lot more then that.
2. They don't compair.
3. Yes
4.Hard telling without meeting you, but most likely,either the KLX250S,WR250X,WR250R,KLX250SF. I know the Yamaha WR250X will do over 80 easily, but I would not recommend these smaller engine sizes for highway use. Have'nt ridden the Kawasaki's on the Hwy yet.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
SheWolf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Bah. I'm 5'4" and ride the WR250R. Granted when I first got it, I could barely touch the ground but it didn't stop me from riding it. You can easily lower it as well (I have mine lowered about 6 inches). There's a lot you can do with this bike, and the fact that it makes other bikes in it's range antiquated with what they use for components makes it that much more attractive. Shop around, you can find this bike at a decent price all over.
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote