Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
pch0mey
Registered Member

Post sadas

:]:]:]:]:]:]:]:]

Last edited by pch0mey : 10-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
pch0mey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

The rebel is a great starter bike, but it may be a bit short for you. Check out the 250 cc Nighthawk as well - it has the same basic engine but will be a bit taller. And as MSCuddy says, a smaller dual-purpose bike might be perfect for you.

Good on you for planning to take the MSF course, too. Keep us posted!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hey, I want to ride too! Get an old XL250 and thash it until you learn how to ride, then move up to something more your liking, like an XL650. Or a 'Busa. Since you're a tall guy, a dual sport would be the perfect choice for a new motorcycle. And XL250's are indestructable.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

You're very tall for a bike that size. I would suggest getting a used Kawasaki KLR650, Honda XL 650 or Suzuki DR650. They are Dual Sport rides and able to put a smile on your face once you go down your first dirt road. Another great starter would be the Honda Nighthawk750. Pick any year in the 90's and your good. If you're thinking cruiser (oh shush- sachi) then may I suggest the following: mid 80's Yamaha Maxim 700, mid 90's Suzuki VS800 Intruder, mid 90's Yamaha Virago 1100 or Seca II 600 (kinda like a standard similar to the Nighthawk but with a fairing). Sporting: Ninja 500- don't even think for a second you should be on anything in the 600 or up range in current sportbikes. Every bike I listed can be had for between $1000-$3000 depending on year model. Cycle World just printed a 5 Bike Buying tips article. Find it and read. Before you buy reduce your choices and Google the bikes various forums and look at the types of maintainence issues or non-issues then decide.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
CBR1000Rider
Banned

The Rebel is way too small. The Nighthawk is closer but I suspect the 250 might be too small also. Buying a used bike is definitely the way to go. I would look for a used Suzuki SV650. It's a great bike with nice V-Twin engine torque. I would also suggest going into a big motorcycle dealership and sitting on a bunch of different bikes then buying a used version of the one that fits you the best. Stay away from high powered sport bikes or heavy cruisers till you get some experience.

Last edited by CBR1000Rider : 01-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.
CBR1000Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Now please remember folks, this guy has NEVER ridden a motorcycle before. Starting him off on a 650 is a sure recipe for disaster. A 250is about a big as you want to go, hell, a 125 would be even better. A buddy of mine who never rode a bike before went out and bought a new KZ650 4 cylinder in 1979. After several near death experiences, big scabs on his elbows and knees, and breaking dozens of clutch and front brake levers, I loaned him my CB100 for a couple months, while I broke in his 650. He was a different rider after a few months on that 100, it didn't terrify him every stop light or intersection, and he was able to use what he leared on the 100 to not stck up his 650. I rest my case.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Given your height, I second Sachi's suggestion for the Honda Nighthawk 250. It's not a "looker" but will more than fit the bill for a starter bike. Used ones can be had for a song, as well.

Another bike to consider would be the Buell Blast. It fits about the same as the Honda.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
CBR1000Rider
Banned

I have ridden a SV 650 is it is pretty tame. It's not a sportbike. But I ride a CBR1000 so my paradigm might be a little skewed. The SV has beginner friendly V-twin low speed torque. Great handling in parking lots etc. Good resale value, good balance, fun to ride, good looks and he won't get bored with it in 3 months. The 250 Nighthawk is small bike used in MSF classes. This guy is young, athletic and 6'2. The SV 650 gets recommended by motorcycles magazines all the time as a good beginners bik. Remember it's not a 600 inline 4 supersport.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Hm.... pretty tame to a liter bike rider is differnt from tame for me who rode a CL100 when i was able... granted i rode off road...

listen to Cuddy and Sachi, Nighthawk 250, XL250 hell even the Ninja 250.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
CBR1000Rider
Banned

Ya Ninja 250 is better choice. Ok the nighthawk is really ugly to me