Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Cailet
Registered Member

Default Tall Learner Bikes

I made a thread here a while ago asking about a good first big bike and recieved plenty of help and a few insults and a good time was had by all...

Well, having tried to book myself a full UK motorcycle test and found none available until a long time away I've decided that I can afford to wait until rather later in the year (and hope I win some kind of lottery so I can get a Suzuki Gladius, having fallen in love at the Motorcycle Show).

However, my current bike is going to be unavailable soon as I'm selling it to my brother (and good riddance to be honest, it's OK but the sportiness and small size aren't working out for me). So I need a new one.

So I'm looking for suggestions. The taller a bike the better (within the limitations of sanity and the 4-stroke 125cc limit, no KTM offroaders for me) and quite frankly it has to be a Japanese bike, just so I can get parts for when I inevitably drop it (since I want to start offroading and playing about more and you can't do that on a sportsbike).

I have been ordered on pain of death not to get a Varadero 125 (not that it'll offroad at all anyway)but otherwise anything goes really. I know none of the offerings from the Big Four are really much cop at offroad action or rushing about the place but the more fun I can have and the further I can push this the better.

Am I best off just picking the mainstream Honda or Suzuki with offroad stylings and finding a good second hand example or is there something out there I've missed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Cailet : 12-28-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Cailet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Uuhhh... the 125cc max capacity is going to be limiting. Here in the US of A, I don't think sub-125cc bikes are legal (just kidding).
Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Cailet
Registered Member

Yeah, I know, you guys just have to have your big bikes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

A Suzuki Gladius is basically either a VStrom 650 or a SV 650; being closer to the SV. Same engine and frame, different suspension and other bits like brakes. The VStroms are quite tall; I'm 6' and I'm either on my toes or leaned over on one foot when stopped. Used one in the US go for $3,000 if you don't mind used.

Since you're European, I have a question: Does name "Gladius" suck as badly on that side of the Atlantic as it does over here? I've only seen the photos and I'm just wondering why they would take such a cool bike and stick that hideous name on it. Did it have a bud vase mounted on the handlebars, by the way?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Cailet
Registered Member

I'm an ancient history nut so I like the idea of riding around on a bike named for the most successful sword of all time

It's still a pretty silly name and yeah I know it's a rebadged SV but the riding position fits like a glove, still haven't found anything quite as comfortable (except the Triumph Bonneville but that thing has a sofa for a seat).
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

You're stuck on the 125 for Licensing reasons, right? I suspect that your choices are limited because most of the bikes are small but may I suggest accepting the fact that you'll have to settle. If you don't want to settle then I suggest Derbi as your answer.
It's not one of the Asian powerhouses but they build solid machines and typically use japan sourced motors. I believe the the Japan 125cc roadbikes Dual or standard will all be on the small size. You just may have to look toward Europe for the first bike. I wouldn't worry though. SOmeone will need it just like you do now- so resale should be pretty easy.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Hyosung makes a nice 125 V-twin that is fairly large for a 125. It's available in the UK and has a ~31" seat height.

Here: Hyosung Bikes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Cailet
Registered Member

I do like the look of some of the Hyosung stuff and there's a few dealers not so far from here so I'll take a look at them.

The Derbis also look absolutely awesome, I'll have to take a closer look at them too.

Thankyou both for those
Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailet View Post
I'm an ancient history nut so I like the idea of riding around on a bike named for the most successful sword of all time

It's still a pretty silly name and yeah I know it's a rebadged SV but the riding position fits like a glove, still haven't found anything quite as comfortable (except the Triumph Bonneville but that thing has a sofa for a seat).
Just make sure you order it with the factory scutum, pila, pugio, and plumbatae!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

You don't really need a 125cc bike, right? It can just be restricted, which is why you're looking at the SV replacement bike?
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote