Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
scasper1010
Registered Member

Default Making the transition, but on what?

Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I have been riding dirt bikes since i was 12. I am now 17 and my dad is letting me loose on the streets. my question is what bike is one that will get me going on the streets and help me develop good habits, but is powerful, and agile that I won't want to get a bigger one in a year?
Everyones 2 cents is appreciated!
(If it means anything I have been riding a KX 250 2-stroke motocross bike)
scasper1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

You're a step ahead of other newbies in that you have off road experience. That means your bike handling skills are probably well developed.

However, you do not have similar experience dealing with road conditions, and you will need to be mindful of that. Combined with youth and high levels of testosterone (I am assuming you are male), you are entering a very risky period.

I am not the only one here that would steer you away from a 600 sportbike, even though you probably can control one.

Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki SV650, or any dual-sport are good tools for leaning about street riding.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

A KLR 650 is going to feel like a boat anchor after riding the 250 smoker for so long. But you'll feel right at home on it thus allowing you more focus on the road ahead. Even if you want to upgrade later you'll probably want to keep the KLR (or DR, xr650l or R with baja kit). I sure miss mine. Otherwise pplassm has you well outlined. Stay away from the sport bikes as you will not be able to afford insurance at 17, hell even 24 you probably might not be able to afford the insurance... That and the temptation to whack the throttle open at the wrong time is hard to resist. Check out a Wee Strom, ninja 650, baby monster, ninja 500 etc.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

You'd also feel right at home on the Suzuki DRZ400SM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

scasper- forget the "won't want to get a bigger one in a year" idea. Being a motorcyclist means having a revolving door on the garage. We are never satified with what we have and always want different things to add to the stable. I would say your best bets are the Ninja 250, 500 or 650. I think the Versys is probably a better pick than the Ninja 650, but it is uglier. Any Supermoto bike, but the best deal is the Suzuki DRZ400SM. Or the tried and true Suzuki SV650s or that new Gladius. Even the Ducati 696 isn't bad.

On a personal note: You'll drop it- more than once. SO- I'd look for a 2001-2004 Suzuki SV. You'll spend about $3000 or so and get a bike you can certainly afford. They are easy to hotrod and suspension upgrades are everywhere. They, also, make great track bikes or club racers when you're ready to move to a different bike.

Last edited by acecycleins : 12-17-2008 at 11:40 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You'd also feel right at home on the Suzuki DRZ400SM.
(+)1 on the Suzuki DR-Z400SM. It will have a similar feel to your dirt bikes and has plenty of engine to scoot around for years to come. If you don't think a 400cc bike is worthy, check out all the posts on YouTube of guys thrashing theirs.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scasper1010 View Post
Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I have been riding dirt bikes since i was 12. I am now 17 and my dad is letting me loose on the streets. my question is what bike is one that will get me going on the streets and help me develop good habits, but is powerful, and agile that I won't want to get a bigger one in a year?
Everyones 2 cents is appreciated!
(If it means anything I have been riding a KX 250 2-stroke motocross bike)

Get ready for a fourstroke. Be picky with your choice, try to test ride anything you can get your hands on. Find a salesman that knows whats going on and is knowledgeable and has been doing it for at least 5yrs minimum. The Motard thing is a great move if your wanting to stay on a dirt style bike. Sportbikes, I would'nt go over a 600.
I feel confident with your experience you could grow into anything around 600 and still feel comfortable. If its a supersport bike, tread lightly, as the high cost of insurance should make you realize that many riders that fit this demographic tend to have alot of accidents.