Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
dewdlebug
Registered Member

Default New Rider Leaning Curve

I completed and passed the MSF a few weeks ago. It was the first time I've ever ridden a motorcycle.

Since then, I've been eager to get back on a bike and just ride but have been slowed because I don't want to try to reduce as many possible mistakes in the process of getting that first bike. Browsing through endless pages of possible bikes, insurance quotes and various motorcycle forums [especially on topics regarding new riders].

Me: I'm 5'11" and about 152-158 lbs, 30, live in NYC. Think I've narrowed my choices down to.. I've settled on going new > used frankly because I feel there's too much room for error on a used bike and I have no problems financing for a new one:

Ninja 250
Suzuki SV650 ABS [naked]
Triumph Bonneville, possibly the T100

Now I'm curious. I recently spoke with a cousin [he's about 6'1" 250 lbs, 30s, lives in Southern California] who's been riding for a few years and he learned to ride on Ninja 600 supersport and now has a Ninja 1000 super. When I told him about how I was leaning towards a Ninja 250 he says that once I get over the beginner street/highway riding learning curb that I would be itching and gnawing at myself for an upgrade, which is why he owns a 1000 and is trying to sell of his 600.

I've read from many sites with many experienced riders recommending the Ninja 250. Are there as many experienced riders that have purchased the Ninja 250 and would prefer to use it more than stronger bikes?
dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I own both a Ninja 250 and a CBR 1100XX. Do yourself a favor, and learn on the Ninja 250 instead of on a 600 sportbike. Buy a used one, ride it for at least a season and sell it and then upgrade to another bike. You'll be glad you did. The little Ninja takes a bit more shifting, but it has no problem doing 80+ on the expressway. You can rev it to 7000+ rpm without complaint. If you absolutely must get something bigger, get a used Ninja 500.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Start with the Ninja250 and then decide for yourself. Use some time and ride as many different bikes as you can. You may very well discover that you have no desire for a bike that's as terrible for public roads as a 600cc or 1000cc race replica. You are fairly large for those bikes... most are designed for people around 5'6".

There are plenty of options so don't limit yourself out of the gate. It's you who is going to be riding your bike, not your friends.

Last edited by seruzawa : 11-25-2008 at 10:15 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yeah, the 250 actually would be an excellent choice. They are very capable bikes.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The nice part about getting a used Ninja 250 is that you may fall and scrape yourself up a bit during the learning process, and that will give you the opportunity to decide if you REALLY want to ride a motorcycle. Quite a few people quit once they bloody themselves, and you won't have made a big investment in something that you will never do again.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdlebug View Post
When I told him about how I was leaning towards a Ninja 250 he says that once I get over the beginner street/highway riding learning curb that I would be itching and gnawing at myself for an upgrade, which is why he owns a 1000 and is trying to sell of his 600.
Curb your desire for a 600 sportbike while you're getting over the learning curve.

Meanwhile, you're going to have to find a helmet that's going to fit around this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buddy_cone_lg.jpg (42.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
dewdlebug
Registered Member

I skidded out on the MSF course. I know it's my fault for getting way too overconfident and was starting to get a bit reckless in riding. In a way, I'm thankful that I crashed on the course and not on street. It's humbled me more than I realized and that outlook sticks with the way I go about riding now.

I'm not looking to speed nor even rip off that throttle. I just want to enjoy the joy riding, calm, free and smooth. I'm not even thinking about speed or power. I got that over with being a teen and redlining cars.

The difference in prices between 1-4 year old used Ninja 250s are pretty negligible compared to 2008/2009 new MSRPs. And unless I personally know who the seller of a bike is, I'd rather simply pay the extra for a new over a used. I have no problems if I happen to drop a bike. I don't expect to be a perfect rider.

What I wanted to know are those that do one a Ninja 250, how often do they ride it? How long have they owned it? How do they like it compared to their other bikes, if they own other bikes?

If I go with the Ninja 250, it's because it will be a bike I will be satisfied with long after reaching my riding curb. A bike that I don't want to use, abuse, trash then dump. No. I'd actually would want to hold onto it for more than a couple of years then eventually start a collection and buy a upgrade then.

Also, I don't recall where it says in my OP that I would buy a supersport and the only sportbike from that list being the 250. I've read from other posts how callous and wannabe vile some of you can be, but at least read it correctly and make me laugh when you do try to poke.

Thanks.
dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I'm just funning with you. So many people go out and buy bikes that are way over their heads...and they wind up getting hurt.

The Ninja 250 is a terrific bike, there are racing clubs etc. just for that bike. It has enough speed and power that a guy I work with son has managed to hospitalize himself twice. Good thing GE has excellent insurance...

BTW: LR and Buzglyd are the callous and vile ones. I'm just the weirdo.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"BTW: LR and Buzglyd are the callous and vile ones."

I'm evil too. If you are going to list my good traits, please get them all.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"BTW: LR and Buzglyd are the callous and vile ones."

I'm evil too. If you are going to list my good traits, please get them all.
Hey why'd I get left out? I'm the Anti-Christ!