Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
veruvius
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
I'm a big fan of dual sports 'cause they're forgiving when you ride them and they are cheap to fix if you fall. DRs, KLRs, XR-Ls, they all have proven engines and they are cheap to insure.

Good Luck!
I've heard dual sports are great first bikes for those reasons, but honestly, I'll probably never go off road on my bike, and the style part is kinda lacking
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I really like that SV suggestion, never heard of it before.

I should've cleared up: if I'm looking to get a bike to keep for a while, I'm upping the limit I'll spend. Really, it depends on my end-of-the-year bonus, but I'm thinking 3k. Is that realistic? That's how much my first car was, and I loved that ('93 Honda Prelude).

Also, I'd like a bike that I can ride for hours, but I don't want a touring bike. Being able to pack stuff on would be a huge help. I'm guessing there are options for all the listed bikes?
Older SV should come close to your price range. As for packing stuff check out www.aerostich.com, buy a roadcrafter while your at it. If you think the roadcrafter costs too much, price a skin graft. remember to budget for good gear. Jeans are only good for 5mph or less. With an aftermarket fly screen and some decent soft luggage you can zig zag the country no prob on your SV650. Wee Strom would be a better option but hasnt been out as long as the plain jane sv 650, so your price range my not include one used.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
veruvius
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Should I be worried about the displacement? I hear that all the time. I learned on a Nighthawk 250, and let's just say I was underwhelmed, but 1200 is quite the step up. It is a looker though... (as are the others!)
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
veruvius
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Older SV should come close to your price range. As for packing stuff check out www.aerostich.com, buy a roadcrafter while your at it. If you think the roadcrafter costs too much, price a skin graft. remember to budget for good gear. Jeans are only good for 5mph or less. With an aftermarket fly screen and some decent soft luggage you can zig zag the country no prob on your SV650. Wee Strom would be a better option but hasnt been out as long as the plain jane sv 650, so your price range my not include one used.
Good points. I'm not planning on doing any serious riding for a while (until I get some miles under my belt), but before doing a big ride, I'll certainly be getting the right gear.

And don't worry, after I do some research, I'll be back asking about the gear
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruvius View Post
Should I be worried about the displacement? I hear that all the time. I learned on a Nighthawk 250, and let's just say I was underwhelmed, but 1200 is quite the step up. It is a looker though... (as are the others!)
You sound like someone with a reasonable attitude toward riding. The large displacement bikes I listed all have very linear power delivery and can be ridden conservatively until you get more miles on your belt.

Any modern bike can kill you in a big hurry. A Suzuki DRZ400 dual purpose bike for example accelerates faster than most cars.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Wink

(+)1 on the Honda Nighthawk. A 92-95 vintage can be had at or near $1000. My brother bought his 92 Nighthawk for $1K, rode the snot out of it for two years and sold it for $800. I started with a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 700SC. Great learner bike! Also, look for a late 80's or early 90's Yamaha Seca or Seca II. Those can be had for about $1K.

Do us a favor, let us know what you pick and how you like it. Okay?
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #17
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member
 
MadScientistMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 130
Default

I still remember the first time I tried riding anything in the 1200 cc class, after about a year of riding. The trouble with them is they have a throttle that has to accomodate everything from idle along to quick to fast to ungodly, and there's not much room on the throttle for slow. It won't forgive newbie mistakes at all.

My first bike - on a ~$1000 budget, and I'm about your size - was a Honda CX500. They're a naked bike with a decent amount of power. I wouldn't recommend one to smaller riders because they are a bit tall and heavy, but you shouldn't have trouble with it. Or you could get a reasonably sized UJM (Honda CB/Nighthawk, Suzuki GS series, Kawasaki KZ, Yamaha Seca / Seca II) in the 750 cc or under area. $3,000 ought to buy you the nicest GS500E you can find - I currently ride a GS500F, basically the same thing with a fairing, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to a beginner. They're only slightly faster than a C4 Corvette.
__________________
Mad Scientist Matt
2005 GS500F
http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com

Last edited by MadScientistMatt : 11-24-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: I forgot the Seca. You shouldn't.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
veruvius
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
(+)1 on the Honda Nighthawk. A 92-95 vintage can be had at or near $1000. My brother bought his 92 Nighthawk for $1K, rode the snot out of it for two years and sold it for $800. I started with a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 700SC. Great learner bike! Also, look for a late 80's or early 90's Yamaha Seca or Seca II. Those can be had for about $1K.

Do us a favor, let us know what you pick and how you like it. Okay?
Ask and ye' shall receive. I'm putting all of these on a list and will be on the look-out for anything in my price range. I won't have the money for anything until January (I can barely wait!), so it'll be awhile, but I'll definitely let you know.
veruvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
birdster
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pelican Rapids MN
Posts: 1
Default

Good for you. Just by taking the motorcycle course, you are a very smart person. I also took it. It was awesome. Have been around bikes for over 30 years. I finally bought my own. just ease into it and it will get easier and you will totally enjoy yourself, and find the confidence you need! Happy riding!
birdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off