Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
spqrbird
Registered Member

Default Shifting (new rider)

Ive never ridden a motorcycle but am interested in buying one and learning to ride can you give me some pointers on shifting How do you shift a motorcycle (im looking at a honda ace deluxe 750)
spqrbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

You take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in your location to learn how to shift. And how to brake, steer, and stay alive. Go find it and sign up.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Shes right, the class will teach you everything you'll need to learn to get started, and stay alive!

Last edited by sachiwilson : 11-16-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: SHE, you ninny.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

bird- please don't think your too smart for training. Take the class before you choose your ride. You'll get all the basics you need to get started. Your first worry should be to buy a helmet. (go to a bike shop and get a parts guy to help fit your helmet. i've been riding for 26 yrs and decided to buy a new helmet recently and found out that in all these yrs I've been riding with a helmet that's a size too big). Buy a nice heavy winter leather jacket and boots that cover your ankles. Gloves are subjective, but for me Alpinestars fit the best. You can't take the course without these. Once you're done get back with us and describe the type of riding you'll be doing: pleasure, commuting, what? Also- READ THE NEWBIE THREADS! You'll find most of your questions answered there- promise.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Let's Ride, Amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spqrbird View Post
Ive never ridden a motorcycle but am interested in buying one and learning to ride can you give me some pointers on shifting How do you shift a motorcycle (im looking at a honda ace deluxe 750)
It's really simple. Hop on the bike and turn on the key switch. Pull in the clutch, that's the lever in front of the left hand grip, and hold it in. Start the bike (let me know if you need help with this part). Flick the lever near your left foot up and down until you see a little green light turn on somewhere on the dash or gauges. Now you're in nuetral.

Once the bike is started and in neutral, put the kickstand up. Now, pull the lever by your left hand all the way in again and hold it. Push down on the lever by your left foot, you'll feel a thump as the bike goes into gear. Now, (this is a little tricky, but you'll get used to it) use your right hand to twist the handgrip on the right side as far as it will go and hold it there. The engine will make a lot of noise; that's normal. Let the lever in your left hand go, and you're on your way. I probably don't need to tell you this, but make sure there's no stuff in front of you like cars, buildings, trees, etc.

If you want to go even faster, you can try pulling in the lever on the left side again and using your toe to move the lever by your left foot up. You can do this 3 or 4 times, sometimes even 5. Each time you do, your bike will go even faster.

Have fun, and don't forget to wear safety glasses. Those June bugs can really hurt if they hit you in the eye.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 11-17-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

SACHI'S ALIVE!

Who said she'd ridden off into the horizon, in search of intolerance and reckless abandon!?

Secondly, sprbird, ignore Ken... He is, apparently, off his meds again.

Then, come back to our humble site for more sage wit and occasionally, pithy comments.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod : 11-17-2008 at 07:50 AM.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Secondly, sprbird, ignore Ken... He is, apparently, off his meds again.
You "doo-gooders." Sheese. The man asked a question, I gave him an accurate answer.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yeah, it just *might* work if you're riding a 50cc Honda cub with a clogged carb.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Kirk, Am I Covered?

Sprgbird's attorney just sent me this photo. He's claiming liability or something. I don't get it, seems like a braking problem and nothing to do with shifting..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shifting Lesson.jpg (84.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Sprgbird's attorney just sent me this photo. He's claiming liability or something. I don't get it, seems like a braking problem and nothing to do with shifting..
When I was in sales at Cycle Sorcery we had this guy come in the b.s.'d a sales goob into the fact that he'd been riding all his life. Deal complete we send him out the back door of the shop (it's like a staging area- big and roomy). Well, we're in a shopping center and about 50-70 feet away is the wall for the business next door. Yep- you guesed it. Jumped on, cracked the throttle and slammed into the wall. Weeks after he got out of the hospital he sends in the lawyers- claiming we did nothing to stop him from getting on a bike. Eventually, it all went away. Too many witnesses to the fact that he was asked over and over if he could ride. It was pretty funny watching that SOB go from stop to about 30 before he hit that wall. Bike didn't even have coverage on it. Funnier- he was left paying the note on the totaled bike. Karma's a b!tch.