Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Learning to Ride

Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Well, we're in a shopping center and about 50-70 feet away is the wall for the business next door. Yep- you guesed it. Jumped on, cracked the throttle and slammed into the wall.
Me and my pal watched essentialy the same thing in front of the Riva super dealer store a few months back. The new owner hopped on his R1, revved it up and dropped the clutch and made it about 50 yards before he careened into a parking space block and crashed. F'er picked it up, got it started again, and wobbled away, didn't even look back.

Maybe Can-Am is onto something here...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you got a bike with an automatic trans, would that make you shiftless?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
If you got a bike with an automatic trans, would that make you shiftless?
Certainly!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Me and my pal watched essentialy the same thing in front of the Riva super dealer store a few months back. The new owner hopped on his R1, revved it up and dropped the clutch and made it about 50 yards before he careened into a parking space block and crashed. F'er picked it up, got it started again, and wobbled away, didn't even look back.
Sounds like that "Pinks" dude.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

That pinks chap was epic, always love watching that episode, over and over and over again.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

Maybe Can-Am is onto something here...
Boy could I tell you some stories. One time at Band camp?

Had a guy that was purchasing a motorcycle and admitted he could'nt ride and was schedualed to take an msf coarse with in a week. So he brought by his buddy that "knew how to ride". He made it off the curb stopped at the end of the median to make a u-turn and dropped the clutch, ran it so hard into a curb on the other side of the road he bent both rims and popped both tires. Needless to say we had to hoist it up with our forklift and bring it back into the shop.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spqrbird View Post
Ive never ridden a motorcycle but am interested in buying one and learning to ride can you give me some pointers on shifting How do you shift a motorcycle (im looking at a honda ace deluxe 750)
I'd definitely second the recommendation to take the MSF course, as they give you professional instructions and the chance to learn how this all works on someone else's bike that you don't have to worry about dropping.

About shifting - have you driven a stick shift car before? If you have, it will be fairly easy, other than that you operate the clutch with your hand and shift with your foot. (This will make sense once you're on a bike and you try getting one started on a hill.) You kick the shift pedal down to downshift, up to upshift. As with a car, the key is mastering getting the clutch work smooth enough.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote