Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 03-12-2001, 10:08 AM   #11
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: Scott Russell Update

"Conversely, when their show doesn't air on TV when/where it's supposed to be (like here in LA, it was supposed to be on ESPN at 2:30 but wasn't, though maybe it was a misprinting error beyond their control)..."

It was on ESPN2 at 2:30, at least here in San Diego, which agreed with the published listings. Must've been a typo in your listings.

It was a horrific crash, and I'm surprised the other riders weren't more seriously injured.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2001, 11:14 AM   #12
cesj
Founding Member

Default Re: This is really sad deal...

Your right. Russell should have never tried to pull off the track especially during the start.
cesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 11:36 AM   #13
ZRXRy
Founding Member

Yeah, I had the same question while watching them run down the starting grid: "Are there really (60+?) bikes out on the track to start this race?" That second wave just shouldn't be there during a feature pro race like the Daytona 200.
ZRXRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 11:50 AM   #14
stevegrab
Founding Member

I don't see any other way to count people. Most racing I've ever been to counts gate attendance as the number of people through the gate, totalled up for the weekend.

I go every day to watch racing, why not count me 3 times. If 3 different people go on 3 different days, they also count as 3 tickets.

But I agree there are too many riders, both in Superbike and some of the Supersport races. But I think it is at its worst at Daytona, where everybody wants to race on the big track.

Although the incidents in the 200 were contributed to by many bikes, the problems could have been avoided for the most part. Especially Russells mishap, which I'm hoping he'll come out and admit was his own fault.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 01:21 PM   #15
itsmygixer
Founding Member

I was suprised to see Scott stall it on the re-start. I was even more suprised to see him put his arm down and change his line. Anyone in roadracing knows what to do in that situation. I'm willing to bet that had Scott continued riding straight ahead, instead of drifting to the right, he would have finished in the top ten! If you were to ask Scott right now, he would tell you the same thing. I'm not blaming him, its just a racing thing. I pray for a speedy and complete recovery. Godspeed Scott!
itsmygixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 03:54 PM   #16
markw
Founding Member

Well, it can't all be factory superstars. John Pearson
wasn't exactly a newbie to the track, carrying the #1 750 plate for
Willow. He's one of the best riders I know. I hope Russell gets well too,
I was looking forward to seeing him on a competative bike too. As for John,
I got word today that he was walking around the pits afterwards.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 03:12 AM   #17
rc50won
Founding Member

wwalkersd, why do you think his accident was "his own fault"?

"specially Russells mishap, which I'm hoping he'll come out and admit was his own fault".
rc50won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 07:32 AM   #18
teamgreenzx9r
Founding Member

What was Scott Russell thinking!? How does a guy become World Champion, AMA Champion, etc. and not know what to do when his bike stalls on a start? I hate to see any rider get hurt as bad as Scott Russell got it but he has only himself to blame. At the club level you are taught that in the event you stall or break on a start you are to stay where you are on the grid, wave your hands, and (as much as you can) make yourself small for your own protection and that of your fellow racers. I haven't seen the accident on TV yet but from where I was sitting in the grandstand it was clear that Russell turned his bike toward the side of the track thereby turning across the path of the oncoming racers. I'm sure Russell is kicking himself for not reacting properly now but lets not lose sight that his mistake took out 3 other riders. I hope they all have speedy and complete recoveries.
teamgreenzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote