Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 AM   #31
jeffreyzone
Registered Member

Default Re: Must be a political leadership problem then.

Red State? Blue State? I thought we were talking about Hayabusas...but do people ride Suzukis in Honda states and Yamaha states?

Seriously, about this north Georgia thing: I ride up there regularly, and the best way to have fun on those roads is to ride during the week when the idiots are away. It is pretty crazy up there during the pretty weekends, especially when you add in the Winnebago crowd. If the locals and the non-motorcycling tourists make enough noise, enforcment will crack down for sure. White County already has a reputation for being proactive against speeding.

The answer for us who need to explore our limits on motorcycles is easy, anyway: Track days.
jeffreyzone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #32
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: North-Georgia Mountain Roads a BIG Problem!

Worse, you may have seen the beer but you didn't see the crank in his pocket.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #33
pudlepirate
Registered Member

I've had a few speeding tickets, and I do own a quasi sportbike, I do my best to obey the law, but it does not allways happen.

I don't think chasing a motorcyclist on a road like this or ever for that mater, is a good idea, especially when the rider knows they are going to have their bike impounded if the law catches them. I am glad the sheriff sees it the same way.

I would sugest video speed traps with large mail in tickets placed at strategic locations to slow people down to a 70ish level.

As for not slowing down for a recomended speed sign, the only place I have ever been when I did not feel that I could safely exede it was on highway one, when they say 15mph they mean it!
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:08 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

I've been saying that the sportbikers were the ones who would bring down legislation on us. Cruiser riders are a different problem. The sportbike problem is much more spectacular and like it or not the news media s***** are hooked on spectacular. No matter the facts, if the national media decides to carry out an attack campaign on sportbikers then we are screwed. Rational thought is something that seldom makes its way into legislation.

I think that there would be less complaining about the problem if people didn't put loud cans on the bikes. You gotta remember that average Joe and Jane are very timid and are afraid of anything that disturbs their complacency. So a fast loud bike disturbs their miserable little existences. The people who are freaked out about even the thought of someone driving 100mph are pretty sad and pathetic but thay vote too.

In any case the spectacular nature of speeding sportbikes is what'll bring down the heavy hand of govt regulation. Crashing drunken cruisers won't create any more demands for regulation than the carnage currently created by drunken cagers. People are just too used to it. It's not spectacular. It might not be fair but no one was issued a Fairness Certificate at birth.

Anyhow, how stupid is it to go racing around on public roads that are packed with cages?
Old 11-05-2006, 04:13 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

What? The word "s-c-um" upsets the pansy generator?
Old 11-05-2006, 05:05 AM   #36
dean_1
Founding Member

This growing problem has been around forever.

People whining about fast motorcycles is old news. People dying because they are speeding is old news. In the decades I've heard this whining bikes have gotten better and faster. This is largely due to a small devoted group of people in Japan. I would like to personally thank every one of them.

If you ignore that moving at a speed that is two, three or four times faster than the average speed of other vehicles, or that it forces you to use the oncoming lane, or that it exceeds your abilities, or that it exceeds your response time due to a limited line of site you will eventually crash. If you want to survive riding a motorcycle understand that you will eventually die doing it. All you have to do is ride safely and skillfully enough that you die of old age first.

By the way, I don't know good journalism from bad but the reporter struck me as a real pansy.

dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #37
Vlad
Registered Member

I think that channel 5 did a good job with their report. I have been riding these roads for over twenty years. Though I sometimes do extra legal speeds, the closest I have ever come to an accident was when I was almost hit head on by another motorcyclist who was going too fast to make the curve in his own lane. So he used mine. Had I not been able to cut to the inside, the squid would have killed both of us.

The problem has become worse. In the past several years, I have noticed many more riders driving at speeds that don't belong on public highways. And the cops are right. They can't catch these guys in a patrol car. The only way that you can catch these guys is with experienced riders who can get close enough to them to photograph them and take a picture with the plate and speed displayed. Then tie that plate to a license and revoke it. Seize the bike. At first do it for only thirty days. Then revoke/seize for a longer term on second offense. Sell the bike at auction at the third offense.

If the Georgia Highway Patrol were to set up a few officers with specially equipped GSXR 1000s (or other high speed bikes) that can take a picture at the push of a button. We can end the problem quickly. If the police need volunteers, I would guess there would be many experienced riders who are as annoyed as I am.

These twits are not our brother bikers. The are adrenaline junkies who are endangering our right to drive.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #38
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Only if you're a christian, their god or their devil don't mean sh*t to me. Having them all inside one building makes it easier to go Viking on them and torch the place.

Do it for the children.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Much as I hate to say it but photocop would probably work and wouldn't endanger any officers.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #40
busa99999
Founding Member

The problem is multiple first aftermarket loud pipes must go in my town I get complaints from resident about these fast bikes found most of them are running loud pipes that make the sound like they are going faster than they are all resident said they were going over a hundred most 50-70 yes they were speeding but the noise was the main pot stirrer. I love that a Fox station does this report and owens the show Superbikes.
busa99999 is offline   Reply With Quote