Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 01-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #51
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Another American Superbike: Roeh

The SV1000 isn't as sharp-focused as some of reviewers wanted, but that doesn't make it a bad bike.

It's still one of my top (Hey, I could actually swing the finances) five; and it's also one of the coolest blank-slates around.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #52
Hector1
Founding Member

Nice concept, but that styling is about as attractive as Roseanne! The $25,000 asking price is a joke. MV Augusta and others can get away with that, because their products are sexy and eye-catching. Something the Roehr is NOT!
Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:19 AM   #54
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: Burger Barn Review

Well now it seems like it unfairly favors bikes by allowing them TWO extra cylinders.

I guess I've been reading your posts for so long I though every Japanese bike was perfect.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:22 AM   #55
pdad13
Founding Member

I'd love to see it, too. Unfortunately, I think we've got a better chance of seeing porcine aeronautics.

Let's hope old Eric has got something special up his sleeve.

As far as converting a current XB to something other than Sporty-powered, I have to agree with you. We're no longer in the days where you could stick a Triumph engine in a Norton frame without too much trouble. Seems the Buell was designed around that motor, maybe even moreso than a lot of modern bikes. Obviously the factory could make the proper adjustments and figure out all of the variables without too much trouble. The guy in his garage, even with piles of money, might have a more difficult time making it work.

I also wonder if when they put a more powerful engine in the XB, say 120 hp and 80-85 ft lbs, if they might have to consider changing the steering geometry a bit. Hmmm...
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 AM   #56
jungkvist
Founding Member

Considering the price-point,,and market, Roeh seems to be aiming at, it's hard to understand why the bike is being presented as it is. Boutique bikes need to create an emotional response like a reclined supermodel wearing Versace begging you to have sex. Unfortunately, the bike on Roehs website looks like it's saying: Hi! My name in Betty and I work in accounting (For $25K, nobody wants practical).

The MV we were all dooling over, back in November, had a paint-job to die for and looked like it was dressed in Sable. So, Roeh better start spending some quality-virtual-design-time, or his bike is going to be about as popular as a hooker with sharp teeth.

Pitching a boutique bike, I'd want to know walking-in: men will be grabbing thier crotch, women will be squiming, and the Rubber Tree in the corner will be shivering. And, just to be sure, I'd have a thermometer to see if the room-temperature goes higher.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #57
jungkvist
Founding Member

If we rode what we can actually ride, most of us would be on EX500s with smiles, instead of gritted teeth.

The Britten was a wonderful illustration of your tear-drop example (ain't much to look at, but she goes like Hell). I've often wondered why no manufacturer has ever crinkled the paint, like the surface of a football, so they can say, " Even The Paint-Job We Gave Our Bikes Makes Them Go Faster!" (it's not like they haven't tried everything else, and it might just help).

Man, there's nothing like something that really works. But, for 25-grand, road-rats like me won't be buying bikes like the Roeh.

BTW, your talkin about that SV with the $2000 discount has me asking my cat where I can get the money, so Thanks a Hellava Lot!

Kevin
Old 01-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #58
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

The problem most certainly IS the motor- it isn't as fast as the four-cylinder nakeds, and it is the same amount of money.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 AM   #59
jungkvist
Founding Member

No doubt about it, Suzuki screwed the pooch; the SV should have been so-much more.

And, while I understand your power concerns (SV vs. In-line-fours) given a $1K price reduction and a bit more character, and Suzuki would have had a winner. So, what thier marketing and engineering departments are doing, you tell me and we'll both know! But, offer me a $9000 bike that's comparible to a Tuono, and I won't EVEN listen to my cat.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #60
jungkvist
Founding Member

Well, if nothing else, they've got a good tag-line "We Pronounce it ROAR! It's Not a Tradition. It's a Constant State of Mind" (Damn, I'm good! LOL).

You'd think that they would have, at least, run their website picture through a digital paint-shop program, if they're looking to pull investors.

This is a perfect case where the marketing guys should take the engineering department out and get then totally-wasted on some good weed, so they can communicate (don't know why they don't teach that in business school).