Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 01-26-2005, 11:50 AM   #41
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Another American Superbike: Roeh

I was checking out the Highland motors web site and noticed that the have a listing for their demo bike. Funny, I've never heard what happens to the demo bike fleets before. I'd be scared to buy one, even though MO treats the demo bikes they get like a mother treats a baby. Afew of the print rags don't seem to be as gentle. It would be like buying rental car. You know how you've driven them.

http://www.highland.se/home/
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #42
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Don't Take Me Alive

[i] Got a case of dyn-o-mite, I can hold out here all night
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #43
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, I doubt it's that easy. The whole bike is essentially one unit; the engine is a stressed member, and the swingarm is attached directly to the motor. You've got a whole boatload of variables to deal with (engine length and fit being one biggie), so while I'm sure if you payed someone to do a ton of fabrication, it's possible. But then you've screwed with Eric's holy trinity and you really don't know what the result is going to be.

But it certainly would be interesting to find out, huh?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #44
Pinkslip
Founding Member

Default Re: Another(?)

"From the workshop of Roehr Motorcycles comes a machine that embodies the true passion and thrill of... a scared guppy!"

Besided it's horrible styling (from any direction), it isn't even really American. Motor, suspenders, wheels, brakes, etc. The whole thing is foreign. Why can't Americans just build our own sportbike that doesn't bite in most respects?!

American built sport-ish bikes are to "real" sportbikes what performance-oriented SUV's are to sports cars: They are marketed as having good performance... "for an SUV." If you want real performance/style/reliability (at a realistic price), get a real sportbike. Not something assembled in America.

Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #45
iamz
Founding Member

I figure a lot of engines are stressed members so mounting another engine wouldn't be all to much trouble. Especially since you wouldn't need the vibration damping mounts for the Sportster motor. I forgot about the swingarm mounted to the engine though. Hmmmmm,....well, nothing that money can't solve.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

Since performance is all important then the looks shouldn't matter. I mean, isn't sportbiking all about the fatest bike not the prettiest one? I mean, if it's not about the fastest bike then everyone who buys a sportbike based on looks is a POSER!

As I recall from physics, the most aerodynamic subsonic shape is a teardrop. Therefore all sportbike fairings should look like teardrops! All fairnings that are angular are inferior and the owners thereof must avoid the Burger Barn until they correct this gross error!

Unassailable logic!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #47
gnlchaos
Registered Member

It kinda reminded me of a teletubbie getting goosed.
gnlchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #48
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't Take Me Alive

Yeah, but where'd you shoot your old-man?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #49
EthanR
Founding Member

Not if it looked like that. One of the reasons I bought an XB12S is that I like the streetfighter, minimalist look. Not by any means the primary reason, but I'm not interested in bikes smothered in plastic. (I also considered the Brutale, Monster & SV650...liked the Buell's ride best overall.)
Old 01-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #50
jungkvist
Founding Member

Man, by the time you get done figuring stress (vertical, horizontal, lateral, rotational and shear-force) on engine components, you'd probably be to tired a broke to ride the thing.

But, I gotta admit, I'd still love to see Buell use the KTM RC-8 engine (Oye, I should live so long!).