Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 01-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #31
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: Another American Superbike: Roeh

Yeah, it might be an SV1000. Those are just flying off the shelves these days. In fact, they are so hot, the dealer will give you about $2000 off to roll it out the door!
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2005, 10:02 AM   #33
pdad13
Founding Member

I didn't mean to knock Highland, it's just not the country I expected a hi-performance street bike engine to come from.

Nope, no foreign engines for Buell. You just can't call it the "American sport bike" or some similar thing when the motor is foriegn (even though most of us here think it doesn't really make much difference.) Suspension, yes. Brakes, yes. Wheels, yes. Controls, yes. Chassis? Maybe. But the engine is the heart of the whole thing. I really doubt Harley/Buell would ever completely outsource engine development

I'm hoping to see that Buell major product intro to which you referred. What have you been hearing?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #34
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Gee and I thought the fact that it had a modern, liquid-cooled Japanese engineered powerplant would have made it perfect.

Hmm, what do I know?
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #35
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Oh yeah?

Yeah, but in what other profession can a cranky old fart get nearly unlimited admiration from an endless supply of 19 year- old girls.

Where did you say your daughter was going to college?

)

-sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #36
imported_g_k
Registered Member

The engine looks cool, and I certainly like the idea of a light and compact v-twin, but I wonder how realistic it is? KTM seems to have designed something like what Roeh is trying, but if it made sense to make something like the Roeh, why didn't they do it? Maybe an engine needs to be bigger, heavier, and more complex to have real-world water and oil passages, etc. I have a 996 motor in my Ducati monster that clearly could benefit from some cleanup and downsizing, but I don't think Ducati designed with the attitude of "Let's just make it big, heavy, and bulky - who'll notice, anyway?" I know the Testastretta design is an improvement in both appearance and size (of the heads, anyway), but I think the Roeh may be trying too hard to make it simple.

What's the old saying? "Every complex problem has a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong." Or something like that.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What global warming......

Boy, that's terrible it was 70 here the other day, now it's back to 55 and sprinkles. You need superhuman endurance to ride in this kind of weather.

Not many can take riding in the Brutally Punishing Pacific Northwest winter.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #38
pattonme
Founding Member

I'll take an SV650 engine or maybe better the 'priller 450.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Oh yeah?

I can dig the 19-year-old thing, but the jail time would kill me. I'm sure your compound could keep the Feds at bay though. LOL
Old 01-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #40
afterburn
Founding Member

What's this obsession with V-twins overthere? Just because it is a V-twin doesn't make it American, nor does that make it nessessarely good. There are lots of reasons why one would pick a particular engine configuration for a particular application. So why does it have to be a V-twin every time? Or does the lack of directly comparable configurations make it easier to hide imperfections under the cover of "character"?
afterburn is offline   Reply With Quote