Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #31
xseal
Registered Member

Default Re: Worthwhile suspension mods??

get a good rear shock (ohlins, Penske), and send the forks out (traxxion, race tech), get a steering damper (Ohlins, hyperpro, scotts) and some good tires. Don't forget to GMD Comput the frame. If you have the $$, its very cheap insurance and you'll have more fun, going faster.
xseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2003, 04:39 PM   #32
CIH
Founding Member

Interesting. At 150 lbs, my KLR with minimal preload seems to work well for me (not so great with a passenger, obviously, but the KLR isn't much of a two-up bike to begin with). Do you think there's a benefit in going with the Progressive LR stuff even if I'm not overloading the stock suspension?
CIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:08 PM   #33
maccasmark
Founding Member

What tyre pressure are you using at the track.

The Aussie Superbike School recommends 30psi front and rear. This allows the tyre to heat up quicker and grip better.

Typically a race tyre needs to ridden harder to acheive the optimal heat. So unless you are pretty quick, you may not get the tyre to proper operating temperature - which obviously means it won't perform properly.

If you go to slicks, you'll probably need to also invest in tyre warmers - as you may damage the tyres while they're cold.
maccasmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:18 PM   #34
CybeR1
Founding Member

You Tosser, poeple go to track days to get off the road and enjoy riding safely without risk of running into cars and objects etc not to ***** race!! I can not believe you stated in one reply " ...But then again I was easily the fastest guy in the novice group. Some people out there are going so slow I wonder why they dropped $140 to ride on a track."

Wanker - you are missing the point completly - go ahead and spend every ***** doller you have and be one of the ****heads with the best gear but no idea in town - ****HEAD"

CybeR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #35
CybeR1
Founding Member

Oh Yeah, and it looks you cant ride for ****e as well
CybeR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:25 AM   #36
cadbury
Registered Member

From what I understand of motorcycle suspension, step 1 of all set-ups is to get the springing right: correct preload and spring rate to give the right amount of static sag. After this comes adjusting the dampers.

Changing springs is usually pretty straightforward and cheap, and should reap rewards for stability by maintaining the right fork angle and ride height. You can always carry on and fit Gold Valves or a new shock after this.

I fitted Gold Valves to my RF900. The best thing about the valves was the chart and video that came with them that showed how to customise the shim stacks. Now I get to ride around continually analysing the way the bike handles, figuring out what changes to make, and then realising that it isn't worth the effort to change!
cadbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:33 AM   #37
Ducgroupie
Founding Member

Default For Abe and ZRX_bullock

Where can I find the info for Trackdays at BIR, I've been trying to find that out and checked the CRA website but must have looked in the wrong area. I'm only an hour or so away from there so it would be nice to see what it's like on the track.

I don't have the bike to do track days this year but I'm looking to get a new one this winter and to add some go fast parts to a 85 ninja 600 (needs new suspenders anyway) that I might think about taking out on the track too.

thanks for any info

Ducgroupie out
Ducgroupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:09 AM   #38
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: For Abe and ZRX_bullock

They are run by Edge Racing.

www.edgeracing.net
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:13 AM   #39
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

GMD comput?? What is that?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:32 AM   #40
nokneedragin
Founding Member

http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/

They measure your bike to try to fix alignment problems, geometry problems etc.

Kind of like blueprinting an engine, but for the frame and suspension.

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote