Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 08-07-2003, 06:00 AM   #11
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Worthwhile suspension mods??

Thanks, I know I can hang off a bit more to improve my lean angle. Just this last time at the track on Monday I started to realize the correct body position going into the corner in order to hang off correctly.

I don't want to go nuts here, I am not chomping at the bit to drop $3000 unless I got multiple knowledgeable opinions that that's what I should do. Clearly that's not the case. I would like to have RaceTech do my forks and shock, and since my bike has over 12k on it, the rear shock could most likely use an overhaul anyway (I hear that the stock R1 shock doesn't stay perfect for long.)

I am most likely going to get a set of race compound for my next (or perhaps the one after that) trackday (and yes, a 180 rear----I've never seen anybody use 190 race rubber.)

Thanks for your input,

Abe
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2003, 06:04 AM   #12
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

You're probably right, perhaps I will just throw on a set of race tires and see what happens. That should tell me if I really want/need suspension work (although I'll probably RaceTech my forks this winter anyway.)

I thought the Pilot Sports work amazingly well for street tires. Perhaps I'm just slow. But then again I was easily the fastest guy in the novice group. Some people out there are going so slow I wonder why they dropped $140 to ride on a track.

I never have run across the guy with the SV or ratted-out 900 that is faster. Not yet, anyway. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but beep beep. LOL j/k
Old 08-07-2003, 06:05 AM   #13
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Thanks, I'm reading it.......
Old 08-07-2003, 06:09 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default BTW

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but after conversations with a couple racers, they have me thinking that riding on the (somewhat bumpy BIR) track should feel like gliding on a cushion of air with properly dialed suspension. I'm dreaming of hitting turns 7 and 8 with the stutter bumps at the apexes at full lean and not feeling anything. Maybe they're exaggerating this.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:10 AM   #15
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I don't think I ever said that.....and if I did I didn't mean it.....LOL
Old 08-07-2003, 06:25 AM   #16
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Pictures are worth a thousand words

Or maybe a few bucks at least.....

Perhaps these pictures of the Sausage King on the track will give the people here a vague idea of how I'm riding at the track (keep in mind this is only my second time so go easy on the comments.)

http://www.momentumphoto.net/eprc/03...onumbers/1010/
Old 08-07-2003, 07:20 AM   #17
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

Default Re: Pictures are worth a thousand words

If you are going to have the front treated to a Race Tech overhaul, great. One option for the rear is to send your stock unit to Lindeminn Engineering and have them rebuild it. My coworker picked up a used shock off ebay, and had it sent directly to them.

They revalved it with an Ohlins valve body, polish the piston and install a heavier spring to fit his body weight. The differences were well worth the $300 total cost. Your options are available, it is up to you to choose with your research and your wallet.

AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:18 AM   #18
Grover
Founding Member

Schools are too expensive? What are you talking about? Keith Code is about $435 if I remember, and Schwanz was only a bit more than that. You're talking about sending your forks out for custom valving and springs, replacing with full ohlins, or getting magnezium rims. All of those things are at or above the $500 mark. Set your sag, play with your damping a little, and maybe get yourself some new springs for your weight. Then do the schools, and after that, when you're REALLY running into suspension limitations, consider the big dollar upgrades.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:41 AM   #19
Grappelli
Registered Member

On a (slightly) related topic, I've just upgraded the suspension on a KLR that I'm touring Mexico and Central America on with Progressive's offerings for the bike. (Shock and Springs, total under $500). I'm 265lbs and the difference is amazing. Just don't listen to them when they say use a 2" spacer for the front springs. Use an extra 1/4" or 1/2" depending on how big you are. It makes all the difference. It's firmed up the weak front end amazingly. They say it "may" damage the springs long term. At $70 for a pair, it's worth it the risk!
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:48 AM   #20
chris820
Founding Member

Don't do it..... after two track days there's no need to blow money on suspension yet. I run an '01 R1 at willow springs on stock suspension and it and it works good enough for now. (I weigh 200lbs with gear on. Just get race tires and read up on how to dial in your stock suspension. You will be able to get it to work quite well once you start to understand how it all works. But most importantly, practice, practice, practice.... it will help you get faster better than new parts will. Once you get within 5 to 8 seconds per lap as the fastest club racers on that track then go for it you'll be ready.
chris820 is offline   Reply With Quote