Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 05-29-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: David Jeffries killed in accident at IOM

Sad day. Did he hit a wall? I love watching the TT but I don't think I would ever race in it. Not like a MotoGP track with lots of gravel traps between the track and walls. Jeffries was next king of TT.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

I'll be darned. This is so not a happy time in racing. I believe it was his suzuki that was in MC a couple months ago. After racing, his pegs would be bent from putting ALL of his weight on them. People like that amaze me.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Grover
Founding Member

I heard he hit a pole of some sort and then continued into a bus stop shelter. Couldn't have been pretty, not that any motorcycle accident ever is.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:11 AM   #4
grubz916
Registered Member

Wow, and I just read this morning that he and Archibald were fastest in practice. Watching him put in a 127 mph lap at last year's TT, rear sliding and wheelieing off corners lined with stone walls and telephone poles, put him at the top of my A-list of bike racers. I hope his death doesn't serve to bolster the beliefs of those that the TT should be done away with due to such dangers. I know Dave wouldn't want that to happen. Godspeed, you will be missed
Old 05-29-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
flying_hun
Founding Member

So sad to read this. I just read the interview with him in the most recent issue (over here) of "Bike", and he came across as a very likable guy as well as a hero of 'real' roads racing. Just when folks are getting over the loss of Joey... Too sad
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
sqidbait
Founding Member

Unbelievable. I'm at a loss for words....

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
F451
Founding Member

Default David Jefferies

My sincerest condolences to the David Jefferies' friends and family. I own wish that the author of this article here at MO had spelled David Jefferies' last name correctly to show further respect.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:17 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree that it would be a real shame (and an extremely inapropriate memorial to David Jefferies, Joey Dunlop and others like them) to eliminate the TT and similar events as a result. Everyone who choses to race the TT does so fully aware of the dangers, much the same way that those who attempt to climb Everest are aware.

David's (and Joey's) lives may have been cut short statistically, but they accomplished much more than most of us who may live much longer but less full lives.

Had they chosen lives as, say, real estate agents, they MIGHT have lived to ripe old ages and died of cancer or heart attackes, mourned by a few family and close friends, while never having lived their dreams. I bet if they had the opportunity to make those career choices over again, they would make the same choices.

RIP David!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:27 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah, I believe he took out a telegraph pole, then Jim Moodie got caught up in the wires and crashed. While Jim was airlifted to hospital, it appears he was not seriously hurt and plans to be back on track on Friday.

David was well on the way to becoming the TT legend that the late, great Joey Dunlop was.

Wherever it is that racers go when they die, the old-timers better watch out, 'cause there are some new contestants lookin' to kick some arse -- Daijiro Kato, Bazza Sheene and David Jefferies will be the ones to watch!

RIP

Bob

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
nitrofly
Founding Member

Default Re: David Jefferies killed in accident at IOM

A truly larger than life character DJ's death is another tragic loss to the sport, and a great blow to the TT especially for such a terrible accident to occur during a practice session.

A fantastically talented and courageous rider he will always be remembered not only as a hero of the TT but also one of the greatest ambassadors the sport has ever had.

Maximum respect and GodSpeed.