Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 02-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Italy Raises Speed Limit

Looks like I'll need a Mille-R and a plane ticket, so I can give you all an in-depth MO report on how the new speed limits (hehe.... speed limits in Italy) work.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
pbx
Founding Member

I thought this quote was interesting: "Lunardi went on to say that psychologists and doctors say people who go faster drive better and are more careful..."

As a speeding motorcyclist of course I believe this is true. But, I dunno, is it really an argument for raising speed limits? When people who are only comfortable at slower speeds get swept up in a 93mph+ traffic flow, will they really drive better?
pbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
drthompson65
Founding Member

I only got one thing to say... ZoomZoom!
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:33 AM   #4
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

They were already in a 93+ mph traffic flow, the increase will just help to reduce the speed gap between the really slow drivers and the typical Italian.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Difference is, in Italy, as in most of western Europe, nobody gets his/her license from a box of cracker jacks. I doubt that there are many Italian drivers/riders who are not already comfortable at 150k/h.

As much as it would benefit me personally, it would scare the crap out of me to have US limits at 90+ mph. I can just see a recent Drivers Ed graduate cruising at 95 in a clapped out pickup, jacked up 6" with worn shocks and tires, while talking to his friends on his cell phone! Oh wait, around here, I see that all the time anyway. Never mind.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
rsheidler
Founding Member

You need someone else to go with you, don't you? To take photos and write up a counter-point article?

I can be available on short notice.

Waiting for your call

Bob
Old 02-10-2003, 12:33 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I thought you said you left Utah.

Old 02-10-2003, 01:05 PM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Left Utah for someplace even MORE rednecked!

Difference is that here they are more likely to also have an open beer bottle in the other hand.

Bob
Old 02-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #9
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

In a related story, South Carolina has recently inked a deal to provide a new series of border-posted speed traps along every road larger than one lane that crosses from Italy into both Germany and France. Both countries, at the recommendation of the SC State Patrol Colonel, will be reducing their national speed limits to 13kph.

Said French President Jaques Shirac, "Haw, haw, haw, we French usually face west so we can thumb our pointy little noses at the abnormally hygenic Americans pigdogs (and because when facing west, we can more easily take it up the rear from Germany). But today, we are pleased to announce a free box of doughnut shaped croisants flavored with possum and deer for our new Carolinian brothers-in-arms. Vive la Redneck!"

In a more coherent press release, German chancellor Gerhardt Schoeder noted that in addition to south Carolinian State Patrolmen, state magistrates will also be imported. "Ve need ze money, ya. So everyone comink from Italy will going 80kph above the speed limit. Ze fines will be huge, ya."
Old 02-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #10
tumbler
Founding Member

You live in TX?
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote