Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 02-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #11
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Re: Italy Raises Speed Limit

Things they have in Europe that allow them to raise speedlimits.

1. Really HARD drivers tests, and tight limits on new dirvers (highway, time of day, vehicle size limitations, etc.)

2. Annual inspections. I would say that 75% or more of vehicles on US Highways wouldn't stand a chance of passing European safety specs.

3. Police that will slam your ass in jail if you cause an accident where other people involved, but mearly clean up the mess if you only messed up yourself.

Yeah they have a lot of stuff going on the right way over there.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

I now live in a state not typically associated with redneckness (California) but I'd put the rednecks around here up against those in Texas any day! I am not knocking it -- that is part of the reason I moved here.

County I live in has less than 2 people per square mile and horses outnumber cars. One of the big riding hazards is shoulder-to-shoulder fresh green cow$hit in a blind corner. Or a couple hundred Black Angus being herded by cowboys on horseback. You quickly learn to leave a bit more in reserve!

Anybody have any good suggestions on how to remove baked-on cow$hit from between the cooling fins? Something to be said for full fairings!

Is it still legal to have an open bottle in the car in Texas? I know it used to be.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:05 PM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

Very funny post. Just one question. Just where along the Italian-German border will these speed traps be placed? Last I was there, Switzerland and Austria were sorta in the way!

Wouldn't surprise me to see some local Swiss villages do just that though. Fed and Canton police are pretty reasonable (or they were when I lived there 7 years ago) but some of the villages were really sneaky with the photoradar. Hide the cameras just inside the speedlimit signs. At least they didn't get reported to your insurance company.

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

Who cares? Let the Darwin Effect take over!
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #15
Neal
Founding Member

heck,if we had 93 MPH here,it would be impossible to get a ticket on my LectraGlide!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #16
Vlad
Registered Member

The last time I was in Italy I didn't notice they had speed limits. At least no one tried to stop me, and i was moving faster than the new limit. Unfortunately, i don't think those limits would work here. Imagine the soccer moms in their SUV's making a dedicated run to Starbucks for a caffeine fix.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:25 PM   #17
crazybike_37
Founding Member

I have to say, I certainly would not feel safe knowing that all the 16 year-old, phone gabbin'young ladies in their brand new Mustangs (courtesy of Daddy) and timid, self righteous, couldn't-think-ahead-if-their-Expedition-depended-on-it woman drivers were allowed to go THAT fast. Most of them don't have the attitude or aptitude to drive anything bigger or more powerful than a Civic anyway.

I think there should be a 90-100mph speed limit, sure, but it should only apply to fuel-efficient motorcycles ridden by individuals who actually think about whats going on up ahead, realizing that they'll be there in a few seconds.

The fact is, the majority of motorcyclists are way more focused on what they're doing, and what other drivers are doing. Not only does riding lend itself to more focused, attentive behavior, but motorcycles are really the only practical way of doing 90-100 mph for long distances because most cars and trucks would guzzle fuel terribly.

So how about it? 70 for anything with four wheels, and 100 for bikes? Operator discretion would have to used as far as how fast you can run your bike for extended periods(no 82 GS650s doing 100 for 50 miles straight), but it would present bikes as a much faster, and still cheaper way to commute, or get just about anywhere by freeway.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:37 PM   #18
giuliom
Registered Member

I like it! I certainly think it's quite feasible. It's true that on a bike you can't help BUT think ahead and concentrate, if for no other reason that you can easily picture yourself tumbilng on the pavement at 85 mph if you get distracted. Today on the last leg of my commute home, I am doing about 80 on the freeway and passing cars doing about 75 and for a stretch every single driver had a cell phone on. It makes you want to scream!

Giulio
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:24 AM   #19
pplassm
Founding Member

I know the Austrians already do just that. Last time I went over the Brenner pass, I decided to take surface roads to avoid the tolls. Bad decision. Got busted big time by the local Polizei. Gee, they only had motorcyclists pulled over, who'd have thought?

After they took all the cash I had left (100,000 Lira), I followed a German guy on a DT175 through the streets of Innsbruck. He parked his bike in the middle of a deserted intersection and held his middle finger high screaming "F**k Austria!".
Old 02-11-2003, 06:45 AM   #20
bigjames
Premium Member

Yeah, my E-Glide is only good for about 105 to 110 tops, down a hill, wind to the back.

The K1200LT, well, that is a different story.....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote