Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 02-10-2003, 12:53 PM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Why discount Biaggi?

He's certainly motivated, and at the end of the season he seemed to be doing just great tire-wise. I'm not fond of him, but he rides really well.

I suspect that Rossi has a huge psychological advantage over him, though. He loves to sit on his opponent's tail and wait for the mistake. Barros seems to handle that better than Biaggi.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2003, 01:40 PM   #12
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: What's with Alex Barros?

"I think on the first day, still using Max's setup, he was, I believe, quicker than he was on the RCV"

You forgot to mention that he was also quicker than Max's time on the Yamaha, and quicker than Max was after he switched to the Honda!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:44 PM   #13
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"The good news is the new Yamaha is just as fast as last year's Honda."

At the first test of the year (the only one I know featured both Honda and Yamaha testing at the same track at the same time) Barros went faster on the Yamaha than he did on the Honda two or three days prior, and also was faster than everyone else on a Honda except Rossi. I don't think there will be that big of a difference (if any) this year in performance between Honda and Yamaha.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:46 PM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Judging from test times so far this year, it looks like Barros might be sucking the hind teat of Capirossi's Desmodeci"

When did Yamaha and Ducati test at the same track at the same time?
Old 02-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #15
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Barros has a chance, though

Even if not faster, Honda has the huge advantage.

But one great rider on a competitive machine can win it all. It looks like a really great year.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:23 PM   #16
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>Biaggi got off the Yamaha for a reason<<

Biaggi got off the Yamaha because Yamaha declined to renew his contract. He was in discussions with Ducati, but they chose Capirossi over him (reportedly because Biaggi has a reputation of being difficult to work with).

At Valencia immediately after the end of the season, Barros on last year's M1 was as fast as Rossi on last year's RCV. Both the M1 and RCV will be faster in 2003, though.

Rossi on the RCV is still the safest bet, but if anybody can take him down in 2003, I think it is Barros.

Rossi seems to be able to mess with Biaggi's head, but he doesn't seem to be able to do so to Barros. If anything, the reverse. After one race last year, Rossi was quoted as saying "every time I fight with Alex, he f#cks me!" From interviews I have seen, it appears that the riders Rossi fears and respects the most are Capirossi and Barros. With good reason, IMHO.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #17
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Psychological weakness

I think Biaggi will be lucky to be #3 among Honda riders at the end of the season. If he doesn't start off well and falls into his pattern of blaming his equipment (he doesn't automatically get the latest factory stuff -- if he proves himself, he may later in the season), I see one or both of of the Japanese riders (who do get full factory support) outperforming him. Kato has gotten in quite a bit of wet practice in the off season, which addresses his main weakness. He certainly has the potential to be right up there, plus he weigh about 50lbs less than Max (I don't know just what he does weigh, but he is a little squirt).

I am willing to make a small wager that Barros outpoints Biaggi in 2003.

Bob
Old 02-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #18
willpower33
Founding Member

Barros himself said upon riding the Yamaha that it was comparable to the Honda. That is why i think he will win too.
willpower33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #19
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default How About Colin Edwards

Colin Edwards may still have to prove to the doubters that he really belongs in MotoGP, but he certainly has proven himself in Superbike, as we all know.

He apparently has proven himself a champ in another area, or at least if any other riders have beaten him, they are not stepping up to claim the title.

This from his web site (www.ceracing.com) on the reader forum:

First someone had posted a reference to an interview that Colin and his wife Aly had given for Motorcycle Racer magazine. In it, two of the questions were, "What are your best points?" and "what are your worst points?" To which the answer was, "I'm persistent, hard working, blah blah blah" and the second answer was "I've got a temper.......and I'm a three pump chump".

In response Colin posted the following:

Author: Colin Edwards II (---.txucom.net)

Date: 02-10-03 09:38

OK, OK

I've got another funny story. As you could imagine through the course of a relationship you do some weird things. This is one of them. Aly and I were just about to get down to business one night in the motorhome when I had a thought. I'm fast on the race track, but how fast am I in the bedroom. So I pull my trusty stopwatch out to have a go. "beep"-----------------37 seconds later-----BOOM!!!!! So until you guys can beat 37 seconds I'm still the champ. So there you are, a night in bed with the Edwards. LOL

Colin

Someone else pointed out that, fortunately for Aly, WSB runs a two race format!

So, until Val, Max, ALex etc can step up with something faster than 37 seconds, Colin is still the champ!

Cheers

Bob

Old 02-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #20
Islandcomm
Registered Member

Could Sito Pons have something to do with it?
Islandcomm is offline   Reply With Quote