Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Knee Pucks

Old 11-06-2000, 05:30 PM   #1
FrankS
Founding Member

Default Re: Gerbing''s Heated Clothing Reader Feedback

I've been using Widder myself, but your review makes me think the Gerbing is a better product. Just for completeness, let me point out a couple drawbacks of Widder (note that I'm using vest and gloves, and pants would be nice to have):

Most serious, no sleeves on the vest. My arms DO get cold. A partial saving is that the gloves have extremely large gauntlet tops, so there isn't any direct wind up the non heated sleeves.

Wiring for the gloves is kind of mickeymouse. You have to plug a Tee cable into the vest, and run a cable down each arm of the jacket. No sleeves on the Widder, remember.

The on-off switch is awkward. It never is where I want it, and it is tough to reach and operate with the heavy gloves. After trying to use it, I no longer feel QUITE so angry at the cell phone users.

(Yes, I know, Widder makes a thermostat, also.) For sure, the Gerbing switch couldn't be any worse.

A general gripe/observation, true of both Widder and Gerbing. You can't use either one with a one piece rainsuit.. There has to be a hole for the wires to get inside.

It took a lot of digging to find the power draw of the Widder garments. After searching their web site, I finally found the data. Does Gerbing tell you how many watts, right up front?

And a final comment - just the way things are. A fully faired touring bike is most likely to have excess generating capacity. An antique "standard" bike has nothing more than an aftermarket windscreen, at best, so you REALLY need the electric heat, but generator capacity is marginal. As I say, that's the way the world works.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2000, 01:37 AM   #2
WartHog
Founding Member

Default Re: Gerbing''s Heated Clothing Reader Feedback

Sounds like a decent setup. Now, I have to wonder just how cold does it get in Torrence, CA? I ride with a Joe Rocket Ballistic suit (the old model) in temperatures down to -10C (that would be about 10F for those of you who haven't caught on to metrics). Below freezing I even put on a long-sleeve T-shirt.

Electric gear would probably let me ride all year here in Atlantic Canada, if it weren't for the salt on the roads!

WartHog
WartHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 01:54 AM   #3
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: Gerbing's Heated Clothing Reader Feedback

I will admit up front that I have never lived up north so I may need someone to explain this to me. It has always been my understanding that the reason people park their bikes for the winter in the northern half of the country is because of ice on the roads. Even if their is no ice on your street you still can't ride because you never know where you will encounter it. The story about Gerbing's electric gear said that this stuff allows you to ride in the winter time providing the roads are safe. How can the roads ever be considered safe up north in the winter time if you never know if there might be ice around the next curve?
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 04:13 AM   #4
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Re: Gerbing''''''''''''''''s Heated Clothing Reader Feedback

I use an Aerostich electric vest, which works great in the low 30s temps that I ride in. Forgive my ignorance, but when it gets cold enough to need a fully electified suit, including socks, don't icy roads present a huge safety problem?
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 07:12 AM   #5
Gilligan_4u
Founding Member

Default Re: Gerbing''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s Heated Clothing

I live in Ontario, Canada, when it hit's -25 Celsius, it's really cold, yes, I'll give you that, but often the roads are dry and free of ice, it goes like this: it snows, we clean the roads, and ina couple days the roads are dry like a bone, you just need to know the roads where you are driving, yes there is more opportunity for danger in winter driving, but it can be aoided with a little smarts, ice is not always a serious problem, just know your roads
Gilligan_4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 08:41 AM   #6
bilbo
Registered Member

Default Re: Gerbing''''s Heated Clothing Reader Feedback

> I've been using Widder myself ...

> Most serious, no sleeves on the vest.

Actually I own a Widder electric vest with sleeves. Well, actually, they're "arm chaps"; they're just like leg chaps, in that they wrap tightly around the arms, but leave the elbow free from creases. They work great. Widder claims this system is better than an electric jacket, because it can be tight against your body, thus being much more efficient. They also have leg chaps. The arm chaps attach to snaps on the shoulder of the vest, and electric gloves attach to the chaps. See www.widder.com.

Just a satisfied customer,

bilbo
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote