Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Kawasaki

Old 06-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
dheikkinen
Registered Member

Default Waiting for the Versys 650

Although they have not announced importing it, I heard there was tremendous interest in the Versys at the Kawasaki's dealer meeting. I sincerely hope Kawasaki decides to bring it to the US. It is a shame Europe gets a lot of bikes we never see. I sometimes wonder who Kawasaki gets to do the market surveys and research or who they ask about new bikes.
dheikkinen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
dheikkinen
Registered Member

Default Waiting for the Versys 650

Well excuse me! I just got an email from Kawasaki,and lo and behold, the Versys 650 is included in their new 2008 model introductions! Oh happy day! Just what I have been looking for!
dheikkinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
ptschett
Registered Member

Darnit, there they go making my life hard again. I had it all figured out I was going to upgrade from my old KLR to a Weestrom, then the new KLR came out, and now this...
ptschett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Bringing in the Versys should be a good move. The local Suzuki dealer can't keep V-Stroms on the floor. And used ones are rare. Adventure touring is growing in popularity. It's about time something started to supplant the ridiculous fascination with cruisers and sportbikes.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
Troop
Registered Member

My question was gonna be "what is a Versys" and I guess it was answered. Will it be based on the parallel twin or KLR motor? I remember yrs ago seeing the Kawa version of the 1000 V-strom when the merger thing was going. I thought that looked kinda neat in Kawasaki guise...
Troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

We still haven't seen one here yet. The dealer probably doesn't want anyone to see that while there are still 'stradas on the floor. I've got a couple of questions though. How many watts does this baby put out? Yesterdays ride would have been impossible for me without the electric gloves and an electric jacket would have been nice. How does a traveler manage on a bike that can't use a centerstand? And did I see correctly you can't use the hard saddle bags and top case together?
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Riva Motorsports in Ft. Lauderdale has sold two and has another in the warehouse. They said they were bringing it to the sales floor yesterday, so me and kid are going by to have a look this morning. If the dealer in your area doesn't have one now, they should soon.

Although they do look similar and have similar "missions," I can't see the Multistrada competing with the Versys. The Duc almost double the price!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'll be giving them a look at the IMS in a few weeks along with a few dozen others I'd like to have.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The Versys is quite cool! I sat on it and gave it a good look today. The things I really liked about it were: the frame is quite unique. It has a custom look to it, with large tubes and cast joiners. The exhaust is compact, and is slung tightly under the frame. UI love the bullet shaped outlet. The fairing, although small, is reminiscent of the Multistrada, but I actually like it better. It's slightly more angular. The bike is tall, but at 6' I could easily put my feet flat on the ground. The single, asymetrically mounted shock is quite unique. Overall, this is a very modern, almost futuristic looking bike. However, the 650 engine size doesn't work for me; and although the bike is tall, it's more compact than what I want. I've gotten used to larger, 1000cc bikes, so it's not right for me.

On a side note, the dealer had a Can-Am Spyder on the sales floor. A few months ago, they had a waiting list of people who'd put down thousand dollar deposits. Apparently, even though they had been told they were non-refundable, lots of people did get their money back, and the sales guy told me he didn't think they were going to sell many after all. According to him, the active control systems that are designed to make the trike "safe" are so intrusive, the thing is no fun to ride at all. He said even going into a typical streetcorner turn, the Spyder was busy braking itself, rev-limiting, and simply squelching any possiblility of having some fun with the thing. According to him, they'll probably sell some to non-motorcyclists, but anyone who's ever really ridden a bike will stay away in droves.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Yeah, not something I'd be interested in...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote