Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Kawasaki

Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

[quote=seruzawa;173235]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

... a union boss, but he's right about not wanting to hang around boilers any more than he has to. I hated even going into the boiler room to change light bulbs at sea. 800F superheated steam when the outside air temperature is 100F makes for a pretty miserable watch.

I'm no union boss I'm a union member. I'm between a Lead and a First Line manager, it's called Team Coordinator. I still stand watches and the office is in the main plant boiler room, I just don't have to do any grunt work anymore just normal operations.

Ken, in addition to building heat the boilers here run Autoclaves, humidifiers and other process steam. Almost everything they do here is black so I really don't know myself. When I worked at the UW the boilers were for building heat and lab process's, also we operated a 5000kw turbine generator tied in with Seattle City Light and provided steam to the UW Hospital for autoclaves and building heat and operated 6- 2500kw Cat diesel generators for hospital e-power. Also 5 2000ton Centrifugal chillers and 2 1500 ton Absorbtion chillers for campus cooling.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

[quote=sarnali2;173253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post

we operated a 5000kw turbine generator tied in with Seattle City Light and provided steam to the UW Hospital for autoclaves and building heat and operated 6- 2500kw Cat diesel generators for hospital e-power. Also 5 2000ton Centrifugal chillers and 2 1500 ton Absorbtion chillers for campus cooling.
Them's some big toys! I dig large scale machinery. If I had it all to do over again, I would have gone into something where I could mess with giant engines or cranes 'n stuff!. The coolest big toy: the MLP (Moblile Launch Platform) at KSC! 1,000,000 pavement pounding horsepower, blasting down the gravel track to the pad at nearly 1 mile an hour!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

[quote=sarnali2;173253]
Quote:

I'm no union boss I'm a union member.......
I see! So instead of watching a bunch of guys do nothing, you are one of the ones that gets watched doing nothing. Simple!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

[quote=Kenneth_Moore;173254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

Them's some big toys! I dig large scale machinery. If I had it all to do over again, I would have gone into something where I could mess with giant engines or cranes 'n stuff!. The coolest big toy: the MLP (Moblile Launch Platform) at KSC! 1,000,000 pavement pounding horsepower, blasting down the gravel track to the pad at nearly 1 mile an hour!!!

I know what you mean, I enjoy my job a great deal. The UW used to burn pulverized coal up until the mid 80's, and had 4 steam driven rotary hammer pulverizers feeding 2 boilers. Doing equipment checks on those you could feel the harmonics in your chest, it was at just the right frequency, like your whole body would vibrate....quite a trip.

Most boilers now are computerized controls where you just punch up a screen and operate it that way however I've worked on a few "stick shifts" where everything is manual, we had one at the Tulalip Test Site that powered a vacuum operated High Altittude Chamber by passing 450psi steam through a series of convergent/divergent nozzle adjacent to the chambers venturies. We could on a good day replicate upto 150,000 feet altiude to test satellite motors under contract from Brittish Aerospace, Royal Ordinance Div.

I was a real blast running that one, it burned bunker oil with atomizing steam with a steam oil preheater, all hand operated. I had to bring it up from cold iron each morning through an electric oil heater, then switch to the steam oil heater when I had a few pounds of steam up....lots of fun for real

Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

[quote=sarnali2;173256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

I know what you mean, I enjoy my job a great deal.
And I get a box the size of a toaster oven, a CD, and a f'ing keyboard and mouse. At least it pays well.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Sure....

[quote=sarnali2;173253][quote=seruzawa;173235]

I'm no union boss I'm a union member. I'm between a Lead and a First Line manager, it's called Team Coordinator. I still stand watches and the office is in the main plant boiler room, I just don't have to do any grunt work anymore just normal operations.

.... bourgeoisie oppressor.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #27
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

[quote=seruzawa;173258][quote=sarnali2;173253]
Quote:

.... bourgeoisie oppressor.
I want to be one, but I can't spell booschwazie!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

"What are you lookin at? Get back to work!"

Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM   #29
ccd3
Founding Member

Default Safety First

[quote=Kenneth_Moore;173254]
Quote:

Don't forget to wear a helmet.
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #30
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

[quote=Kenneth_Moore;173257]
Quote:

And I get a box the size of a toaster oven, a CD, and a f'ing keyboard and mouse. At least it pays well.

When I was starting out I was offered a spot in the apprenticeship training program from my union to cross over from Stationary Engineer to Operating Engineer which would be operating Bulldozers, Graders and Cranes, that sort of thing. I didn't do it because I would have had to live in Yakima for a year at the training facility and I was too PW to leave my girl friend, who I broke up with shortly thereafter anyway..

That's what happens when you're young and dumb..