Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Kawasaki

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
jrider
Registered Member

Default 2007 Mean Streak 1600 2-up capability

I'm considering getting a 2007 Mean Streak 1600 soon. I'm looking to use it half for riding around town on my own, but the other half of the time I'm planning fairly lengthy road trips with a passenger. I'm 6'5" and she's 5'10" with a combined weight between us of over 350 lbs (plus some gear with some bags etc).

Can someone with some experience with this bike let me know how comfortable it is on a road trip for both driver and passenger? My trips would be anywhere from 500 to 1,000+ miles round trip. I'm mostly concerned for my girl in the back sitting on that stock seat for that long. Obviously I'd get a backrest/sissy bar for her, but that skinny little stock back seat looks awful to sit on for any real distance. Am I way off by assuming this, or is it actually a comfortable back seat?

Also, I've looked around online and haven't found a much better seat, but if someone knows of a good after market seat (and sissy bar), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by jrider : 05-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.
jrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
I'm considering getting a 2007 Mean Streak 1600 soon.

Also, I've looked around online and haven't found a much better seat,
Weren't we already discussing this in another thread ??

Well, you finally made me go and actually LOOK.........and it appears to me that the MS 1600 wasn't really designed to have a "back seat". That little lip behind the driver hardly qualifies and the fender hardware may not be hefty enough to support a real back seat.

I know that you really, REALLY like this bike......but I can't shake the feeling that you are blinded by the light and might be headed down a path you will regret later.

I think it IS good that you are asking this the way you did with this post here. Hopefully you will get some good first hand responses.
You might also want to search for a Mean Streak specific forum.
Google is your friend !!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm no expert on the subject but I cant believe anyone would make a 1600 solo rider. You have the power there to move yall & anything u can strap on it, but comfort always varies by the person. Usually if you get a Corbin, they aint cheap, but noone has ever told me they didn't prefer it over the stocker by far margins.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I'm no expert on the subject but I cant believe anyone would make a 1600 solo rider.
Well, I can't believe that anybody MAKES a 1600 bike to begin with..........

There's enough engine there for THREE bikes.....while at the same time, they stopped bringing 400-600 standards and cruisers here altogether......but I digress.

Do a google search and look at some of the pictures and then let us know what you think. I don't think even a 10 year old kid would be comfortable on the "back seat".
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I think I remember that style seat being popular in the mid-late 90's they called it a gunfighter? I figured it to be a solo with an extension on the back of it to reach the mount bolt for a 2up. Lots of motor for a solo bike with no luggage......why?
Old 05-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
Lots of motor for a solo bike with no luggage......why?
It's the motorcycle equivalent of an SUV.
Wretched excess.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
jrider
Registered Member

Yes, this is a modified version of a thread I started in the general discussion, but i modified the topic to be Mean Streak specific and in a Kawasaki forum in hopes of getting an answer from MS riders...

If there is anyone who can answer my MS 2up questions above who has 1st hand experience, please let me know. Thanks!
jrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
If there is anyone who can answer my MS 2up questions above who has 1st hand experience, please let me know. Thanks!
Well, it IS the beginning of riding season for many of us......and participation drops off here this time of year. You need a little patience. The rest of us are just trying to keep the thread fresh until someone sees it who REALLY knows something helpful.

BUT......seriously consider looking for a forum that is geared more toward that specific model. I don't remember it coming up in any previous discussions here. Google is your friend.