Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturer Forums > Kawasaki

Old 02-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Radiator shroud/250R

Hey all,

Today I removed the lower and upper fairings per the service manual from my '08 ninja 250R. I figured it's good to know your bike as best you can which is why I did it. Get your hands and fingers in there kind of thing.

It went pretty well, except during re-assembly I couldn't get the plastic radiator shroud back on. For the life of me I could not figure it out. I saw where everything hooks up but just could not get it to go.

So I left it off. Frankly, it seems that all it does is maybe prevent road grime from getting up into the engine area a bit.

My question is simple: Is it okay to leave it off or does it actually do something of importance?

I test rode the bike for an hour and it ran flawlessly. BTW, after being couped up for the last few months it was really great to ride again. 60+ degrees in Chicago today.

Thanks for your help.

Scott
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

You can probably get away with it if the air temps are low, however, most of the shrouds are designed to create an airflow path for proper cooling. Not only does it "scoop" the cool air in, but the side vents set up a low-pressure area to pull the hot air out. The dirt probably isn't a big deal unless you ride on unpaved roads a lot. Get back in there and put it back on before Spring and warmer temps come along.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
sliphorn
Registered Member

K_M, thanks for your reply.

That makes perfect sense. Will do.

If I can't manage it then I guess I'll have to "pay the man" to do it.
And that would gripe my arse no end.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I can't tell you how many things I look apart and couldn't put back together. Like the transmission from a '72 Datsun that needed a starter ring gear. Who knew there's a clutch alignment tool that you have to use before the transmission input shaft will ever go back in? A trip to "the man" and $50 bucks later...I knew!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Next time get a digital camera and take photos of what your are disassembling before you disassemble it and any other helpful photos you can think of. This routine has saved me countless hours of idiotic poking around trying to get something "simple" back together.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
sliphorn
Registered Member

I hear ya, guys.

To make it even more interesting, I went to my local Kawi dealer today to take a look at one they had on the floor.

Man, was I ever way off. I THOUGHT I knew how it went but I had it ass backwards.

Seruzawa, camera it is next time.

It turns out that this particular shroud does not aid cooling in any way. The shroud goes up and under the headlight to prevent excessive wind getting up there which could potentially cause a bit of a head shake. That's the ass backwards part I was referring to.

Live and learn.

Thanks again...........