Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 09-20-2001, 04:05 AM   #61
Haru
Founding Member

Default the ZX-12R is THE most powerful bike in the world.

You said:

<blockquote>The ZX12 is not old styling or technology wise. The motor was designed to beat the Hayabusa, and would have, had Kawasaki not had to throw the fight. </blockquote>

The motor DID beat the Hayabusa's. The ZX-12R has the most powerful engine of any production motorcycle in the world, and ZX-12Rs consistently dyno higher than the Hayabusa. The top speed thing is too murky to call. Early ZX-12s were mysteriously down on speed, following as they did so close on the heels of the top speed speed fiasco. But later bikes are more or less equal in speed/acceleration etc with the Hayabusa. The Busa's better aerodynamics offset the ZX-12R's power advantage and superior ram air system.

Anyway, the top speed thing is academic. The ZX-12R equals the Busa for straightline speeds, and out handles it courtsey of the 2 inch shorter wheel base, and steep steering geometery. However, it requires more skill to ride fast because the monocoque frame is too stiff and runs contrary to the new concept of "designed-in frame flex for better feedback and communication". The steering geometry and frame stiffness has been altered with the 2002 model to tackle this problem.

What's the point of all this? quite simply this: there is a lot more to bikes than magazine tell you or CAN tell you. They do what they must to sell issues at the newstand. Sometimes they are just plain biased or prejudiced (even MO can be accused of that). If you buy bikes and judge bikes based mostly on what the magazines are saying, you're just not very smart. If the magazines were worthy of being treated as gospel, nobody would buy BMWs, Ninjas, Ducatis, Buells, Triumphs.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2001, 04:39 AM   #62
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Futura comment

I test rode the Futura at the Honda Hoot! Very nicely finished, very comfy, very sporty, fast, nice handling, way cool muffler under seat, terrific instrument cluster, less maintenance than the Ducati ST2/ST4. Very minor negatives: more vibration than ducati, no sounds from the exhaust, expensive. If you got the $$$, I don't think you'll have any regrets with the Futura, unless you test ride the ST4 and don't mind the maintenance schedule. The ST4 is more fun to ride in the twisty stuff (just a little bit more fun), and has that awesome Ducati sound, no-vibration engine. The Aprilia is more refined though. Good luck!
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 05:29 AM   #63
dave_in_sd
Founding Member

Default Re: Concours

I have a 90 Concours with ~80K miles.

A couple thousand Concours and GTR owners

all over the world would disagree with you

about the buzziness.

I suspect the one you rode needed a tune-up. Any

inline-4 will buzz if out of tune. Contrary to the

stuff copied verbatim from one magazine to another,

the Concours buzzes no worse than any other

counterbalanced I-4.

Seat is soft on older ones, but still useable for

LD riding. That said, most owners upgrade the

seat. But of course, seat upgrades are popular

in any type of LD ride. I have a Corbin.

The bags do bounce, but they NEVER fall off. They

bounce a little less if you actually load them down.

If the tranny shifted funny, you rode one with a

problem. The tranny is very bulletproof, as with

all Ninja-derived powerplants.

What you didn't mention is that the flip in the

windshield causes lots of buffeting on the freeway.

Aftermarket windscreens are available and popular.

I have a Rifle screen, and an array of cut-down

stock screens for different conditions.

-Dave Svoboda, Concours Owners Group

dave_in_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 05:50 AM   #64
Brycejr
Registered Member

Default Make your own sport-tourer

Why does every body have to salivate over a factory made ST? With companys like Corbin (great 2-up seats & Beetle Bags), Givi (hard bags), Rifle (windscreens), National Cycle (windscreens), and Heil (clip-ons w/more rise & pull back) you can create your on ST from almost any sport or standard. This is what I love about the motorcycle market. If you don't like your stock bike modify it. You don't have to wait for the companies to come to you.
Brycejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 10:08 AM   #65
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Because they6 want to emphasize the SPORT...

in sport touring. Shaft drive, while low mainenance and convenient compared to a chain, is inefficient and creates torque reactions that are not desired for midcorner high lean angle adjustments. Chains are better for more sport oriented sport touring bikes and Kawi knows this.

Shafts are nice too, don't get me wrong, I like them, but they're not sporty.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 10:11 AM   #66
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200

Your Honda is "Better Built"? Are you at all aware of the reliability reputation of the Kawasaki ZX-11 that this is based on?
Old 09-20-2001, 10:12 AM   #67
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default How's the TOURING RANGE of that Superhawk???

When do you stop for gas, after 100 miles? Sport tourer my ass.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:19 AM   #68
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Not only does it have factory bags....

But, like with the ZR-7S they are OEMed by Givi. How's THAT for the total package!
Old 09-20-2001, 10:22 AM   #69
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default It's a chain drive bike.

For a Sport TOURING bike like a Concours or ST1100 a shaft is fine. But for a SPORT Touring bike like the ZZR a chain is preferable.

Besides maintenance on modern O-Ring chains is a breeze!
Old 09-20-2001, 10:57 AM   #70
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Some people like the clean look of a stock bike.

Givi accessory bag mounts completely RUIN the look of ANY bike they are on. I've seen them on VFRs, GPZs, etc, and they look so ugly they riun the whole look of the bike. And let's admit it - few of us want to be on an ugly bike.

A factory sport tourer doesn't have this problem. And Kawasaki is definitely doing the right thing with the ZZR1200 and the ZR-7S. They have small integrated mounting system for factory Kawasaki branded Givi OEMed luggage. A nice clean integrated look and Givi quality is a good thing.