Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   Kawasaki News (
-   -   2002 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200 (

markszrz 09-18-2001 01:55 PM

Re: 2002 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200
Ya - it's based on the ZZR/ZX11 but it's been completely updated. If your interested, the best article I have seen was in Rider Magazine a couple of months ago. Hopefully they put a shaft on the thing. I have a ZRX and would have paid extra to keep the lube oil off my swing arm.

MC 09-18-2001 04:08 PM

re: bags + a little digression
The ZR-7 bags are Givi's sold through Kawasaki. Looks neat though, I think. A "little" air/oil-cooled four, loaded up with luggage. I like it!

MC 09-18-2001 04:12 PM

I think I like it, but I like all motorcycles. Looks like it may end up being one of those 'in-between' bikes that never quite finds a market in the U.S.A.

desertbilly 09-18-2001 04:35 PM

Is this the updated ZX-11?
I agree it would sell with a shaft, but I don't think it's has one. I do like the styling. The engine will be nice. The tank's big enough. Assuming the seat and windshield are either adequate or easily changeable. This would make a fine sports tourer with a shaft and hard bags. Good competition for the FJR 1300, and the STX. Especially around the $10k to $10.2k price point (w/o bags).

If I were running Kawasaki, I'd want something a little more modern than the Concours in the ST segment. But with more sport than tour, this will face a lot of tough competition with the Sprint ST, the new VFR, as well as the Blackbird and Hayabusa. With a shaft and hard bags at $10.5k, it would be a contender.

starvingstudent 09-18-2001 06:06 PM

As long as we're running Kawasaki...
If I were running Kawasaki, the first thing I'd do is touch up the EX500. No new mechanics needed, but spruce up the fairing, tail, and exhaust so that it doesn't look so Reagan-era, and then maybe it could take on the SV650 in the lightweight/cheap/bang-for-the-buck market. Keep it $500 below the SV to compensate for the smaller engine. I think it's the EX's looks more than anything else that make it perpetually lose out to other budget streetbikes (namely SV).

I'd also update the Connie, but that would have to be a full do-over, not something easy like the EX. The Connie's got a good name in the tour-side-of-ST market, so giving it a new body wouldn't be too risky.

How about a totally new Voyager XII to compete in the new agile-luxury-touring market (K-LT and GL1800)? The current one is essentially an 80's retro bike at this point.

Introducing the ZZR1200 wouldn't have been above any of those three on my list of priorities, because the high-speed-sport-side-of-ST market seems to me to be rather small. But as long as it's already been designed, it's still nice.

starvingstudent 09-18-2001 06:13 PM

re: bags + a little digression
It's all just proof that America is having displacement/power inflation. Being 20, I'm used to it, but my dad (his 1972 Honda 350 was "really fast and powerful" when he bought it) sure chokes when I try to explain to him that 70hp machines are now considered "beginner bikes"...

I'll agree that the ZR7 looks great with hard luggage. It compliments the quarter-fairing and conservative lines quite well.

luvmyvfr 09-18-2001 06:37 PM

Too much Lube on your swingarm?
Clean up the talk guys, jeesh! Anyway, look close at the picture, it looks an awful lot like a sprocket showing its ugly head on the back side of the bike.

two_wheels 09-18-2001 07:11 PM

Re: 2002 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200 one seems to care that this bike has one ugly face!.........ill take the new vfr....which is a mixed bag it's gear cams anymore on the veefer....and still less than a liter...shame....

actually, while im ...what is with bike manufactures this style's are one thing...but there are alot of dog ugly (ducati multistrada anyone?) and stupid engineering designs (can chains on veefer) out there for 2002........and i cant beleave i read that honda is not bring the stx1300 state side...that cant be right at all....

schipwreck 09-18-2001 08:04 PM

I'm glad you like your Superhawk. Very cool bike, and a killer bargain. But a sport-tourer? I've read that it gets 28 MPG and has a range under 100 miles. That ain't a sport-tourer.

The Kawi better have nicely-integrated saddlebags and a killer price, because the chain drive, Jimmy Durante nose, and what appears to be a nasty gap between the seat and tailsection will sink it otherwise. It looks like they're trying to hit the same note they tried for with the late and unlamented GPZ-1100. They would have been better off just re-skinning the Connie.

boxjoint 09-18-2001 08:06 PM

User Freindly
Geesh, you guys love to rag on Kawasaki! I recently purchased my first kawi even though I favor suzuki as a company. I have the zrx1200 and in terms of standards it beats the Bandit (which everyone seems to love) and has very close numbers to the FZ1 (according to the print rags). Lets remember the purpose of this's a sport touring bike. Being the lightest, fastest and most agile bike out there is NOT the purpose here. I think that this bike would make for a great long distance mount...and it looks good too. I do agree with most that Kawasaki makes pretty lame race reps and take their sweet time in the developing department however, their user freindliness and comfort make for good street bikes. Kawasaki also tends to be very budget freindly. If this bike gets good reviews, I might trade my ZRX in for a 2003 model. (That is if Suzuki does NOT release the heavily roumored SV1000)