Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 09-05-2001, 02:03 PM   #11
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: MCN shows new Kawi Colors

I heard rumors the ZZR1200 was the Councours replacement but Kawasaki wouldn't confirm stating only the "Concours continues to sale remarkably well". I would trade in my ZRX1200 for this baby!
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2001, 02:25 PM   #12
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default This has potential

Agreed. With a hard bag option (even Givi would do), since Honda is wringing another year out of the old ST1100 for the US, this could have a lot of potential. Give it a comfortable seat, windshield, a long valve maint. interval and >200 mile range, and I'm interested. No shaft, like the ST1100, FJR1300 & R1150RT, but for 10,200 to $10,300 I could overlook that.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 04:13 PM   #13
pistonbroke
Founding Member

I could easily have done a burnout yesterday, but I didn't. Breaking news? Maybe.....
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:00 PM   #14
gsxmike
Founding Member

Rokon has a very comprehinsive web site, complete with history! Don't know about MZ though....a German company with old Yamaha motors now, right?

How about some news about the replacement for the Honda ST1100? Or Yamaha's FJR1300 coming to the US?
gsxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:54 PM   #15
Arrow
Registered Member

I like the new ZX12R, the mirrors are way better, and there's nothing wrong with making it a little sportier. As for the "new" ZX-9/6, I am not sure. OK so they have made a lot of changes to ZX9R (more than 140 detail changes, including engine, chassis etc.) but why did they keep the styling same? I like the look of the current ZX9R, but I think with the new CBR-RR, R1 and current GSX-R Thou, they need to underline the changes with new styling; I am not sure if the buyers will pass the other open class bikes to buy this one. If the price is right, then it might be another story...

And what's with the new ZX6R which is not a 600 but actually a 636? It might make sense for someone who wants a 600 package with more torque but wouldn't you rather go and buy a 750 instead? I read in MCN that it makes sense when you consider the insurance brackets and that it is for Europe only. They are also taking themselves out of the European 600 supersports championships, although I am not sure about the world supersports. Weird.

Why o why don't they upgrade the ZX7R? For a minimum amount of investment and R&D they could make it lighter and faster by using parts from other bikes (wheels, brakes, clocks etc) and modifying the chassis/engine a little (better comfort, more agility, better suspension and of course more power etc) without losing the best traits of the current model. This upgrade probably would not make it a rival to the current GSX-R 750 but it would probably give it a run for its money and fill a gap between the 900 and 600. Please Kawasaki, do it!

Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 09:56 PM   #16
Arrow
Registered Member

I like the new ZX12R, the mirrors are way better, and there's nothing wrong with making it a little sportier. As for the "new" ZX-9/6, I am not sure. OK so they have made a lot of changes to ZX9R (more than 140 detail changes, including engine, chassis etc.) but why did they keep the styling same? I like the look of the current ZX9R, but I think with the new CBR-RR, R1 and current GSX-R Thou, they need to underline the changes with new styling. I am not sure if the buyers will pass the other open class bikes to buy this one. If the price is right, then it might be another story...

And what's with the new ZX6R which is not a 600 but actually a 636? It might make sense for someone who wants a 600 package with more torque but wouldn't you rather go and buy a 750 instead? I read in MCN that it makes sense when you consider the insurance brackets and that it is for Europe only. They are also taking themselves out of the European 600 supersports championships, although I am not sure about the world supersports. Weird.

Why o why don't they upgrade the ZX7R? For a minimum amount of investment and R&D they could make it lighter and faster by using parts from other bikes (wheels, brakes, clocks etc) and modifying the chassis/engine a little (better comfort, more agility, better suspension and of course more power etc) without losing the best traits of the current model. This upgrade probably would not make it a rival to the current GSX-R 750 but it would probably give it a run for its money and fill a gap between the 900 and 600. Please Kawasaki, do it!

Arrow
Old 09-06-2001, 12:05 AM   #17
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default It is tempting!

Although I really Love my ZRX1200, I would also be tempted to trade up to the ZZR. I probably would wait a year after it is out to get more time on the Z-REX, however that ZZR is very classy looking...Nice color too
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 04:01 AM   #18
TheBoss
Founding Member

Kawasaki have gone totally to the dogs (in the sportsbike class anyway). All their machines are way inferior to the opposition and they are always one step behind the competition. The ZX12 is a pointless bike - not good enough to cut it as a proper sportsbike and not comfy enough to make it as a sports tourer, not the fastest bike either (the Busa is quicker in a straight line) & hence the terrible sales worldwide. Kawasaki badly needs a new superbike. The ZX9 is a tugboat compared to the GSXR1000, R1 and Blade and the ZX7R is just to old, fat & slow to put in the same sentence as a GSXR750. What Kawasaki need to do is surprise everyone and bring out a 165KG, 150BHP update of the ZX7R & paint it green!
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 04:48 AM   #19
Arrow
Registered Member

Actually ZX12R and Hayabusa are equal in straightline performance and I think it's a nice bike. Latest improvements will probably make it even better but I agree it occupies a grey area (with Hayabusa in fact); it's not a sport tourer and it's not a race-replica. But this may not be a bad thing though.

As for the calling ZX9 a tug boat; aren't you being a little harsh? It still gets good reviews in magazines. It's comfortable, fast (faster in straight line than R1&Blade) and most suited to street riding. Latest improvements will hopefully make it a better sportsbike but you definitely have a point. What Kawasaki needs is a bad-ass hooligan of a sportsbike. Your definition of a new ZX7R sounds wonderful, although I doubt they will even update it. Kawasaki is going to loose its performance image (or has it already?) if it keeps going like this.

Old 09-06-2001, 05:00 AM   #20
TheBoss
Founding Member

Kawasaki ZX12 – hmmm, am I the only one that thinks this is a totally pointless bike? The only ‘more pointless’ bike I can think of is the FZ-1 (at least the big kawa will blow off R1s etc.) Isn't it typical that MO love it (!!) and did a feature on an even more pointless more pointless bike – a FZ1 with 1500 buck thrown at it….Mega Pointless RR. And isn't it not pointless loading up a story on MO that is taken from the MCN website - why not just go to the MCN website instead. Pointless?
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote