Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-09-2001, 05:29 PM   #1
Neal
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

Hmmmm....first Honda,then yamaha and now Kawasaki....if Harley doesnt get their long awaited porsche motor out soon they are going to be playing catchup in their niche market--the v twin power cruiser.no true sport bike,a failing race effort and now falling behind in the cruiser wars.Gotta believe a company as savvy as HD has something up their sleeves but they better play it(them?) soon.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2001, 06:26 PM   #2
TheFox
Founding Member

I was at a H-D/Buell dealership looking for an X1 Lightning in white and blue (no one has one, it sucks.) the other day. Anyways, I ask the guy if Harley is getting the watercooled motor on the 13th of July. He says, "Well, all I can say is that Buell isn't getting the watercooled motor." Then he looks me in the eye, holds my gaze with a "what do YOU think" look, and says, "But I can't really say anything else."

Now, normally I would say it's the H-D dealer talking out his rumpus, but this fellow ONLY sells Buells; he doesn't touch the Harley aspect of the operation. It may pay (literally) to be at your local Harley dealer on the 13th.

By the way, if they do release it on that day won't it be kind of an omen? Friday the 13th for the new hawg? Makes you wonder...

Anyways, this Kawa Mean Streak, aside from the name, looks the buisness. Now all they have to do make sure it performs and market the sumb!tch. Yamaha better update the V-max here, or there's gonna be trouble.

The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 06:37 PM   #3
minime
Founding Member

TheFox,

The dealer you talked to is wrong. Unfortunately I can't tell you why and on what counts just yet. Hee, hee, hee...

What do you think of the Kawi? Like the looks? Will 10 percent more power do the job?
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 07:02 PM   #4
Brutus57
Founding Member

The Kawi is far better looking than the Yamaha "Warped Star".

Still, they are both obvious attempts to catch the VTX. VTX has the power and looks. I'm lining up the the 2003 version next winter. Let's see if the Motor Co. can change my mind.

Brutus
Brutus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 07:02 PM   #5
DialedIN
Founding Member

I'm a Kawasaki fan, and to me this bike looks like the Honda Shadow Sabre... I saw a picture of a Kawasaki On MCN.com that was the 1500 Vulcan motor, but in a sportster looking package, now thats an Idea....Sounds like it would be a better set up for a street fighter bike. Not sure about this Kawasaki Sabre though.
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 07:35 PM   #6
Arrow
Registered Member

I don't think 10% increase in power is gonna cut it. What does a standard

Vulcan give, 50-55 horsepower; a ten percent only brings it up to sixty something and as far as I know the new Yam is around 75, but is light for a big-bore power cruiser, VTX is heavier but quite powerful. How light (heavy) is the new Kaw? I don't think it's lighter than others so I don't expect significant performance increases (even the pipes are thin, don't you need big muffler volume on performance oriented twins?). It looks nice though...

Arrow

Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 09:26 PM   #7
FlyingDutchman
Founding Member

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRFFFFF

'nuf said.

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 10:27 PM   #8
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

The new Yam power cruiser is air cooled. With less weight, it can afford to make less power than the VTX and still compete.

This Vulcan will probably only weight a couple lbs less than the VTX. But, since the VTX has 100 hp, this underpowered Vulcan will probably get trashed by both the more powerul VTX and the lighter Yamaha. Sounds like it's DOA.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 11:44 PM   #9
springerman
Founding Member

Default Wanna see the new Harley Davidson?

Hear it is!!http://www.visi.com/~weibergc/vtwin/messages/111.html

springerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 11:51 PM   #10
springerman
Founding Member

Default Re: Wanna see the new Harley Davidson?

This is from someone else.

I am still in denial that that is what it looks like but...

The water cooled bike will be introduces to Europe as a 2002 and the U.S. in 2003. I found this out about 3 weeks ago from a very reliable, very inside source.

http://www.visi.com/~weibergc/vtwin/messages/111.html

springerman is offline   Reply With Quote