Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-13-2001, 11:09 AM   #81
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Nice looking bike.

I love the back end and the wheels look really trick (saw bigger pic from other site). The tank looks very Guzzi-ish to me. I like!
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2001, 02:34 PM   #82
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Brilliant Marketing Decision

Agree, the name is lame. The comment reminded me of another Japanese marketing gaff, a couple of decades ago.

Remember the game 'Donkey Kong'? Did you ever notice that there weren't any donkeys in the game? The designers thought they were using the English words for 'Monkey Kong', but didn't quite get it right.

Maybe Kawasaki should have gone with 'Vulcan Kong', or maybe 'Donkey Vulcan'?
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 02:47 PM   #83
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Stopgap?

This seems to be pretty tame compared to the V-ROD, VTX and the Warrior. I wonder if it might be a stopgap product that Kawi rushed to market over the last year, when it learned about what the competition was up to.

That said, while it's not the bike the competitors are, I don't think it's a bad looking bike, and the old Vulcan FI got great reviews, so this ride priced right (less than $9,995) might sell reasonably well as the value leader in the segment.

Whether Kawi will invest the money in developing a cutting-edge power tourer, who knows? Does anyone know if Suzuki is coming to this party?
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 11:44 AM   #84
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Mea Culpa

I was wrong about the name. Kawasaki folks tell me that it was NOT derived from the Green Streak name.

Art
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 11:59 AM   #85
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Public input

Actually, the companies spend millions doing market research. They show bikes and concepts to focus groups, dealers, selected indiviiduals. The Valkyrie was being ridden by riders off the street years before it was introduced. Kawasaki had "customs" running around to test the Mean Streak concept. The Road Star has pushrods because people told Yamaha that's what they want.

To some extent, the committee process is inevitable unless you are building a bike for one person. The more specialized a bike gets, the smaller the audience and potential sales.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 02:38 PM   #86
salesman
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

I didn't think 10% was in the hunt either but we got a fax at our dealership from Kawasaki on Friday that said "30% plus increase over the Vulcan Fi." I quote further:

"The Mean Streak has 72hp at 5500 rpm and 85-lbs. torque at 3000 rpm." Hmm...let's see...55(or so)+30%(55)=...71.5(or so).

And can this be believed?

"Recently introduced to the media, the magazine editors said things like: 'This is a cruiser where everything works like it's supposed to. At last!' 'I've ridden the other power cruisers that are available and this offers the best handling.' And, 'The brakes on this thing are better than the other machines in the class.' "

Okay, so of course negative comments were filtered but I hope the positive comments weren't fabricated.

At any rate list price is $10,999 which is $1000-$1500 less than the Yamaha and Honda respectively (one positive for the Kaw salesman). If this thing is relatively light weight and handles well it should put up a good showing in the shootouts and I should be in good shape.

Dealers who want one (actually no more than two for the early release) have to order by 7/18 as releases will run from 7/20 through 8/31. Get to your local Kaw shop and check it out.

If you're in NC buy one from me.

The Howard Cosell of Motorcycling
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 02:39 PM   #87
vulcanfi2000
Founding Member

Default Re: Stopgap?

I own a 2000 Vulcan1500FI, and I wouldn't trade it for any bike. The Vulcan FI is the most comfortable, and reliable bike you can buy!

The only maintenance needed is an oil & filter change, and high octane gas. Thats it!

And it is plenty fast!
vulcanfi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 06:47 AM   #88
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: New Buell???

What??!?!?? 115 pretty impressive for a twin??? Anyone heard of the TL1000? 115 is pretty average for a brand new motor with (I assume) a lot more than 1000cc.

I think "pretty impressive for the average pathetic cruiser output" is a better statement.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:11 AM   #89
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Wanna see the new Harley Davidson?

If that's the new HD... wow! Course it's got styling from BMW (top front tank), Yam (see headlight from MT-01) and even some from an old stylist's standard (aprilla maybe... some styling dude designed it to be friendly... loads of smooth lines and stuff... much like this HD).

HOWEVER, still looks nice but look at those weenie front brakes... does HD know what brakes are for or does this bike weigh 12 lbs?

Still, pretty nice... that from a sportbike guy - whatever that means?!!?
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:37 AM   #90
95XV1100
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

I agree the Kawi looks better in the pictures but I think the Warrior may outperform it. I would think long and hard about the VTX. A riding partner of mine just got one. He likes the power on demand but is unhappy with the handling. He states his turning is very limited by instant peg scrapes when trying to make anything more than a medium turn and his last ride was a Shadow Sabre.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote