Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-10-2001, 09:13 PM   #51
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

I was really looking forward to them bringing out Sportster clones in 1500 and 800 sizes (I'd take the 800). But I guess they'd rather have one more obese, poor-handling ubercruiser.

I guess I'll just have to buy a W650 instead for my retro-standard fetish, since I can't have a retro-standard V-twin.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2001, 02:56 AM   #52
Knightrider
Founding Member

I am not a "cruiser" type of guy, I like sport touring bikes, but this one does get me thinking. I find the idea of a cruiser that is a street fighter interesting, but is it to big and heavy to perform? It would never be able to compete with a Ducati or the Triumph in performance, but might still be a fun ride.

Put some clip-ons, or at least drag bars on it and rear set pegs, could be a lot of fun if it handles.

I like to see Kawasaki in there, the more choices we have , the more interesting it gets.
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 03:06 AM   #53
mdpeterson
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley h2o cooled engine

I wouldnt hold my breath to wait for HD prices to come down.

Way back in 88, my brother bought a Softail Custom, for

which he paid $10,000. I guess that was the MSRP at that

time. At the same time, what was the price for a ricer cruiser?

Dunno, but I guess it was 7 or 8 thous.

Point is, that HD's will always be more $$ than ricers. The

die-hard HD fans will only buy HD. The guys that mind to

choose between HD or ricer dont even matter to HD sales. (they

dont even make the radar screen.)

mark
mdpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 03:47 AM   #54
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: MO gets scooped again!

My e-mail address should be on your server somewhere, right? It's not the 'public' one that you see when you see my posts.. but that 'private' one. Acutally, right now, our my mail-server here at the ranch is flaking out... don't know why. I told it not to reject any Harley-related stories, but it's a fussy eater... perhaps too much leather and chrome for it's diet! haha!

-James

-DISCLAIMER FOR HARLEY MARKETING-

At no time is any of this banter actually serious... I -promise- that no one is trying to leak info about your new bike... really... I promise!.. trust me!... heh.. doh!
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 04:21 AM   #55
k650dsn
Founding Member

I have one of those. Great motorcycle.
k650dsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 06:12 AM   #56
DrDeath
Founding Member

New bike sales for Harley for the year 2000 (domestic) were 158,817. 45% of new sales of Harleys went to previous owners. 30% were from riders of other brands. 25% Were from riders that have not owned a bike or haven't owned one in the last 5 year. The average age of the buyer was 45 years old.

"Other brand riders do not make the "radar"". I would say 30% is a pretty good chunk of the market. (47,645 units) Not to say what % of the riders in the 25% group were "ricers". But for fun lets say 1/2 ( based on the poor sales of Harley 20 years ago) of the 25 % group were "ricers" that is a another 19,852 units. Total 67,497 units. That puts "ricers" buying 42% of new Harleys.

Take the 45% of repeat sales and you have a used market that is building up fast. And Harley is saying their production is going to be 200,000 for the year 2004. Ok the average buyer is 45 years old and how many more riding years does he have left?

Yes I think the maket is softening and the price of Harleys will come down some. Last Friday I was at the local Harley shop and they had 5 new 2001 Road Kings in stock. Sailing price was MSRP not one cent more! 2 Years ago could you buy one for MSRP? No....not even if you could find one.

The young rice riders are riding bike that are dependable, and powerful. Are they going to buy the underpowered Harleys for a premium price when they are accustomed to power and dependablity. Especially after Harley looses it prestage of being "hard to aquire" and "you have to be in the money to own one".

One thing I am glad to see is Motorcycle sale are up as a whole and competition makes for a better bike. Be it Harley or Honda. and it may even provoke the manufactures into getting a "Mean Streak".

DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 06:39 AM   #57
DrDeath
Founding Member

Isn't this a switch???? Harley is not a wannabe!!! They are thinking >>>Sure wish we could build a good bike that is water cooled and dependable..you know like one of those Japanese or Italian bikes<<<<.
DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 06:42 AM   #58
Roadman
Founding Member

Default Pictures of the new 1100 water cooled Harley

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...212131&=68922&

The bike is exactly as I described here over 2 weeks ago.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 06:45 AM   #59
Roadman
Founding Member

Default MO gets scooped again! Cowards!!!!

There were 10 of them 15 minutes from your office a month ago and you knew it.

I described them here over 2 weeks ago.

You guys let me take the abuse of being called a liar.

Shame on you!
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 07:16 AM   #60
pudchucker
Founding Member

I like the looks better than the Warrior, but I like the weight of the Warrior versus the VTX, but I like the power the VTX has for real power cruising. It's like gender confusion anymore. Can't any of these manufacturers get everything in one package? Doesn't anybody listen to us?!!! No wonder there are so many customizing places to give what everyone wants after buying basically a starting point with a stock bike, then adding $ to get it right. Not for me, with all the rugrats I have it's lucky I can ride at all! Maybe Harley can get it right for a reasonable price. I'll wait and see.
pudchucker is offline   Reply With Quote