Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-10-2001, 01:52 PM   #41
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: MO gets scooped again!

Minime,

Here's your solution.... mail ME the story you're going to run (at least the text of it) and I'll POST it for you on this forum as if it was independent research by me!

You have plausible deniability b/c well.. any yahoo could -CLAIM- you have e-mailed something to me (violating your non-disclosure)... it's quite another matter for them to PROVE you mailed something to me.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2001, 01:56 PM   #42
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Before anyone says "oh, but you just divulged your plan, thereby voiding your offer of assistance"...

note that with stuff like posts on a public forum, there is little in the way of real verifiabilty of author or intent. Even if their servers log my IP, someone could have "maliciously posted in my absense" whilst I was away at the coffee machine, etc...

and proposing those possible excuses here doesn't particularly incriminate or exculpate me one way or the other!

It's air-tight MO, gimme the story! hehehehe

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 03:10 PM   #43
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: New Harley VR

theDuke,

I couldn't really tell if you were kidding, but I thought I would set some things straight to the average reader who doesn't check peoples statements against reality. The VTX makes 106 bhp at 5000 RPMs and 120 ft./lbs. of torque at 3500 RPMs, and since torque is what any cruiser lives off of (below 5252 RPM the torque curve (#'s)is always higher than the HP curve. I do agree that the displacement is a lot less 1130 cc's vs 1800 cc's, but I think the new HD motor is something more sporty, more along the lines of the Honda RC51, putting out similar numbers (126 HP and 75 ft/lbs of torque). Anyway, Just thought I would throw some numbers out there for people to read and compare.

Later!
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 03:19 PM   #44
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Fun to Ride, and so is the H-D

We've had one around here, and it's definitely spunkier than the other Vulcans. But it's no Harley V Rod, which we've also ridden, and which makes a ton of power. The VTX is in trouble, despite all that displacement. Imagine: an 1100cc Harley that's as fast as--based on seat-of-the-pants dyno--an 1800cc Honda. The world has turned upside down.

The name is a play on the old Green Streak moniker used for some Kawasaki racers, starting with a 100cc single.

Art Friedman
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 04:56 PM   #45
minime
Founding Member

If a full story appears in this forum tomorrow, I'd just like to go on record as saying I have nothing to do with it.

There, I'm off the hook, right? Get me that e-mail address and the story...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 04:58 PM   #46
eric_oaks
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley

Europeans pay VAT (value added tax) on all retail items. On motorbikes and cars it is about 17%. It is built into the price, so that is why you see the difference. Imagine if you had to pay 17% sales tax? What would that do to your toy list?

As for Harley, I would love to cheer Bostrom or Edwards in WSB riding a Harley. Maybe they should buy Ducatis and just slap HD on the tank?

Eric
eric_oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 05:38 PM   #47
opie
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

Ya know.... f*ck Kawasaki. They are a day date and several dollars short. I used to be a Kawi faithful. I loved the dorky looking Vulcan I bought new in 1992. I EVEN (stupid me) traded in my beautiful 1994 GTS 1000 on a 1999 Nomad. What a gutless wonder THAT was!! The VTX is pretty, and an engineering marvel, but do y'all like to TURN??? Go to MO's review of the VTX and look at the photo of the guy draggin chrome while BARELY leaning!!

Have any of you checked the handling, balance, power to weight ratio, and just plain old low weight overall on the Moto Guzzi Bassa? It's the real deal, and the only cruiser I'll ride anymore. Everything on that air-cooled twin is what it's supposed to be. No BS parts meant to look like something else. I sold an Ultra Classic Tour Glide with 62,000 miles on it to get my Bassa. That bike is the best kept secret in cruiserdom. I love power, but the Guzzi has all I'll ever need, along with the agility of a dancer. It feels just right. I also love my highly modified 97 ST 1100, but that's a different breed of cat.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 06:09 PM   #48
Jaime
Founding Member

Default Re: Fun to Ride, and so is the H-D

Here we have it! The inside scoop from none other than Art Friedman. Thanks Art!

I'll bet that Honda will have their year 2002 1/2 VTX

soon after Harley debuts their V Rod.

As for the Kawi, bad name but great looks and probably priced right for my wallet.
Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 07:13 PM   #49
DrDeath
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley h2o cooled engine

YES! they are outdated!!
DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 08:14 PM   #50
pwbyrne
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

The Yamaha looks better and will probably handle better. Kawasaki got caught with their pants down.

What I'd like to see is a cross between H-D's Sportster and Yamaha's V-Max, but with better suspension and a V-Twin (well mind you, I'd buy it if it had the V-Max's motor anyway). Enough of the 'forward control' crap. You can't manhandle a bike like that. It's time to add the looks of cruisers with a normal layout and some seriously kick ass power with no compromise handling. (ie. no parts touch down on the street, who cares about the track)

While I'm at it, I wouldn't mind somebody taking Harley Davidson down a few pegs. The prices they charge for bikes is unbelievably outrageous. You have to be dedicated or nuts to pay the prices they ask. There is no way those bikes are worth what they ask. How much difference dollars wise do you think there is between a Sportster and a Dyna?
pwbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote