Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-10-2001, 07:26 AM   #31
draz
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

If you read between the lines, I think he is saying that it tops out at 9,000 rpm.

"You can feel the engine pulling hard up to 5000rpm and if you didnÂ’t have a rev-counter youÂ’d swear that was all it had. But investigate a little more and twist the throttle harder and it feels like the bike has a supercharger. The last 4000rpm kick in so hard you could be on a TL1000S."

not too bad for a twin of that size.
draz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2001, 08:10 AM   #32
LeanAngle
Founding Member

Reading is fundamental. Sorry about the mixup. Doesn't make that piece any better, or the bike any prettier, faster or handle better.
LeanAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 08:25 AM   #33
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

"Mean Streak" ?

What marketing 'genius' came up with that dorky name?
Old 07-10-2001, 08:31 AM   #34
draz
Founding Member

Default Harley's Pricing

I know this thread is supposed to be on the Kawi, but that story just isn't nearly as big as the first water-cooled engine in a Harley. So I'm going to go into the HD story more.

In the MCN article it listed the possible price point for the new Hog as between 14,000 and 15,000 pounds. That translates to a US price of $21,154. However, There is a significant markup for bikes sold in Great Britain. For example, the new GSXR-1000 is listed as 8695 pounds, which comes out to be about $12,261 US. Which is about a 17% markup. If you translate that to the new Harley, that means it will be about $17,500 in the US.

I'm guessing HD won't have one bit of a problem selling them for that price.
draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 09:10 AM   #35
k650dsn
Founding Member

If history repeats itself, then a year from now, the VTX will be the most boring, the Yamaha will be the most powerful, the Kawasaki will be the best all around and Harley will have sold the most. Suzuki will be scratching its collective heads wondering what the hell happened.
k650dsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 09:18 AM   #36
k650dsn
Founding Member

I'm disappointed too. I was hoping Kawasaki woould have reached into the archives and pulled out the Eliminator, stuffed the ZRX1200 motor in it and gave it some suspension. No VTX, no Valkyrie, no Warrior or Harley would be able to touch that bike.
k650dsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 09:55 AM   #37
lazy1
Founding Member

you know, i kinda like the looks of this thing. the abbreviated rear fender and the inverted fork make a package that looks more of a whole that that crazy 'warrior' thing.
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 11:12 AM   #38
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley h2o cooled engine

Rod, i think his point was that Harley has had "unusual" success over the last 5 or 6 years. Now, i don't have any ill will towards Harley, i learned to ride on a stroked FXD, and i ride with Harleys quite often, and for their riders' intended purpose, they are good at what they do.

However, prices for both new and used bikes aree softening up, as the market is becoming saturated, and their is less of a demand. Harley has taken awhile, despite production increases, to meet this demand. Prices will begin to soften up, the bikes will lose their ability to be the status icon that they are now amongst the "RUB's".

Once they do lose that status, they will become just another option for buying a bike. Plus, the japanese cruisers have become so much more competitive, that people who would not consider looking for a motorcycle besides a Harley might start to do a little shopping around and number crunching to arrive at the conclusion that they are not willing to pay a premium for some magical, mystical, undefineable quality that the Harley marketing department has convinced buyers their bikes have, and others do not.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:34 PM   #39
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Well, Rod, like I said.. good luck to Harley. I think this is a positive move for them. I think you are discounting the RUB effect on the numbers of Harley's out there, but that's another debate perhaps? My point is that there is a significant number of Harley owners that are going to embrace this new styled offering because they are not the long-time, died-in-the-wool Harley patrons, but the oft-lamented even by old-time Harley folks as the 'Johnny Come lately's. Harley guys I've met (all great guys, really) have said as much too.. that there's a definite influx of poser-types that they don't like. I wonder why though.. I thought that being part of the Harley-thing meant welcoming all comers? But, I'm not in the loop I guess...

Harley will still sell every bike they can build for quite some time, but I think that they are going to sell a LOT more of this new bike than most current owners might want to admit to out of a sense of "loyalty" to the "old ideal". It will be precisely because it is a design-style that originated at Harley that will eventually make it "approved" for human consumption though.

I'm not specifically stating anything about you, you DO sound like you are a long-time owner and that's great!... you have found what you like. No flies on that! Personally, my tastes vary so often and so widely that I doubt I'll ever find any given -thing- that I like exclusively. To each his own. For the record, I have a dirt-bike, a cruiser (Honda), and an old-school sport-bike... one of each, covered all bases.. I like things about each one.

Anyway, I am saying that if this was not a Harley,

say for example it was the Honda offering (but looked EXACTLY like this bike in every detail), then the number and noise of Harley folks scoffing at this bike as some kind of abomination would be oppressive and deafening. And yes, I know that a lot of current Harley-ites already don't like this bike.

Perhaps those, like you, are the true-believers.

The point there is that the very concept that the "new class" of Harley owners are trying to glom on to, namely "We're all a bunch of individualists with free-thinking, open minds" is bogus and false... they are no less a bunch of snobby stuffed-shirts than they claim any other brand devotee to be.

(again, only referring to the late-arrivals who we all know about that glomed on STRICTLY for pose value... casting no aspersions on newcomers who are only just now able to afford their life-long dream... I think we know what I'm talking about).

Those are the folks who will abandon their TC88's and so on to flock to the "newer, better" Harley and they will do so b/c they will quickly tire of getting smoked by the VTX, new Yamaha, and whatever else "Japan, Inc" comes up with that will smoke your typical Harley.

The statement that makes to me is that "hey, you know what... all along, what we -thought- was cool really wasn't... this new thing is cooler!"

They painted themselves into a corner if you ask me for if the current Harley is their ideal, then they really shouldn't want the new one at all. (thus the true Harley owner's "statement" will be the loyalty they show to their old favorites if you ask me)

Perhaps that will happen and the new bike will only be sold to first-time Harley owners... I doubt it though.. and I'll bet big $$ that Harley is counting on the defection of those same people I'm talking about b/c this bike will cost much more than current offerings... no doubt about it. Harley is SMART! and their market research is paying off yet again... more power to them, nothing wrong with that! ... brings more bikes to the roads, and that's a good thing if you ask me.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 12:46 PM   #40
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Brilliant Marketing Decision

Oustanding!.. had me rolling!.. "mullet count"!... haaahahaha!! oh man!.. stop! stop!..killing me!

Seriously though, 'Vulcan Sport'!.. there's a winner! I tell ya, it's tough to be a Kawi guy sometimes.. (I'm one, from my dirt-bike side primarily, though my current love/lust object is the ZRX1200R oooooh baby!...)... Kawi doesn't have the best track record with some name decisions, to be sure!... I was never wild about 'Eliminator' and sure enough, they brought it back.. on a flippin' 125!!!... 'ooooh lookout!.. it's the ELIMINATOR-125!'...

I guess that's Kawi's charm/curse!

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote