Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 07-10-2001, 06:16 AM   #21
DrDeath
Founding Member

Default Re: Wanna see the new Harley Davidson?

Yea, that is probably it. Notice the forward foot pegs, up right sitting position. No speed intended here....as usual. UCK!!!
DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2001, 06:33 AM   #22
LeanAngle
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak

Nice freedom of the press.

We know everything, but we'll parse it for you so that we'll get more information in the future.

Thanks.
LeanAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 06:35 AM   #23
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Default Re: MO gets scooped again!

Come on guys! How come MCnews.com has a published road test of the new H-D and a story about the Honda American Sport? I love you guys, but....
ACE1100rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 06:41 AM   #24
LeanAngle
Founding Member

Can you say Suzuki Madura? That thing is UGLY. It doesn't look Japanese, it looks Buell, which are horrifically made and looking kit bikes.

That puff piece on motorcyclenews.com is not worth the 0s and 1s it was written on. Drag racer estimates 11 second 1/4. (I knew I thought I saw that guy racing Madsen.) Hey buddy, not if it tops at 5,000. How 'bout something measurable, rather than girlish squeals about it's great breaks, um, brakes, something with which NO Harley has ever been blessed.

As for the bike itself:

You've got your chintzy chrome on the front flanks, your gyn chair foot placement, and satellite dish front wheel. Probably won't be as fast (or cheap) as a VTX.

Harley riders will come in droves.

LeanAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 06:59 AM   #25
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Another Brilliant Marketing Decision

When and how do these people think up names for these bikes? The "Mean Streak?" Hey, I know, let's see if we can blacken the image of riders everywhere just a LITTLE BIT MORE. Not that I'm saying the bike should be called the Yellow Daisy or anything, but how about the Vulcan Sport, or the Power Twin, or the Poser Express or something like that? But Mean Streak?

Dear God, I thought the Japanese bike makers had focus groups and big ad departments that were trying to get new riders into the industry. How many new riders do they think the "Mean Streak" will drive to showrooms? I'm sure the mullet count will rise quickly at my Kawi dealer.

OK, so I'm bagging on mullets. I guess anyone we can get to ride is better than getting no one at all. But I will volunteer my copywriting skills to any manufacturer in order to stop this 3rd grade naming mentality.

Long live great names like Shadow, Vulcan and Low Rider. Let the flames begin.

GreatOldBikes@aol.com
Old 07-10-2001, 07:07 AM   #26
Blackwolf
Founding Member

Well, I like the look of Mean Streak, but what's up with the name? haha .. I guess time will tell if it's a real Mean Streak or not. I'll wait until the dealership has them in stock and look at them personally before I order one. Also , have to see how the reviews are on it..see how much hp and torque it really has.

V3838
Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 07:17 AM   #27
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: MO gets scooped again!

Ace (and everybody else),

We're still not cleared to say anything. Grrrrrr...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 07:18 AM   #28
JoeSquid
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley h2o cooled engine

I can't disagree with anything you said except one: the remark about getting outside engineering help being a detriment. I think your Anti-Harley sediments are clouding your view on what should be regarded as a great thing. Remember - it isn't like Harley wasn't involved in the design process. They just utilized the best possible tools (i.e. Porsche Engineering) for the job. As for the 70's, try to remember that those were AMF bikes, you know, the bowling ball company.......I don't know about you, but I know that I would rather ride something designed (in part) by a company that knows something about high-performance machinery rather than one that knows about a heavy object skidding down a lane...............
JoeSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 07:40 AM   #29
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Another Brilliant Marketing Decision

You hit the nail on the head, greatoldbikes.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:54 AM   #30
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Mean Streak? Please.

The VTX is sweet but just misses the mark for me. That's hard for me to admit. Honda and Harley are the only bikes I've ever owned. Honda sporty bikes and Harley tourers. Then my Wife brings a V-Star 1100 Classic into the garage and starts me looking at Yamaha. No one does what Harley does better than Harley but then Yamaha comes out with the Warrior. Harley doesn't do ANYTHING like that. The Duece doesn't count 'cause it doesn't have the frame/suspension refinements of the new Warrior and the Dyna Sport doesn't have the clean swingarm.

Enjoying my lustaffair with the new Yam and waiting for it to show up at the dealer Kawi comes out with this attempt at a challange to the VTX and The Warrior. No challange here as it doesn't appear from this article to be anything more than a mildly warmed over and tweeked Vulcan.

"Cages are for Hamsters!"

www.ridetowork.org

Remember to ride to work on July 18, 2001

Support ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote