Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 06-09-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Re: 2008 KLR650 gains 50 pounds?

The published status certainly bear out what you've observed-- a 50lb. weight gain.

The 2008 Ducati Hypermotard is only 8lbs heavier, but of course will leave your wallet significantly lighter.

Perhaps refocusing the KLR650 on the street and urban environment where many of them spend their time necessitated some weight gain.

Perhaps most real-world users will find the extra weight an asset rather than a liability? Somebody lace up a set of 17"s and let us know!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I have no clue whatever, personally, but the KLR is a cult bike over at AdvRider (http://www.advrider.com). Head over to that site and check out the forums, and you will surely find out whether the inmates there think the new bike is better, despite the weight gain. You might also find out what to remove!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

I'm sure you will hear this more than once. It did gain weight but it also gain better flexibility for adventure touring, as well. Every review that I have read, so far, says it's a much improved bike in EVERY way from the previous bike. The bike boast better brakes, better handling, better prtotection from the elements, better power, better power delivery, better suspension (even though the travel was reduced)- it's a better bike than the prevoius generation and it's still wads of cash cheaper than everything it competes against. And it STILL plays in dirt. You want real opinions on this bike go to one of the KLR owner's forums and ask. Bet they say the same thing I am saying.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
oleland
Registered Member

As an owner of a 2002 KLR I can tell you the stated weight of the older KLRs at 347lbs is way off ,they are at least 25-30 lbs more. I think Kawasaki is just being more honest this time around.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
ddlewis
Registered Member

I've always heard the 335 number was crap and the real difference between the 07-08 is < 20 lbs. Still in the older models favor, but a far cry from the spec sheet 50 lbs.

like someone said.. go to advriderthumpers forum and get more info than you ever wanted to know. Those guys personally know every nut and bolt on a KLR.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
iamz
Founding Member

DR650. You won't be disappointed.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
gjbedna
Registered Member

I'm not disappointed....got my 06 KLR with 350 miles for 4k. The 08 may be the greatest thing ever, but with the money I didn't spend, I'm pipmping it out.
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
JoelReiter
Founding Member

I find this very shocking -- you mean anyone actually reads the weight in the manufacturer's spec sheets? I learned almost 40 years ago that brochure claims were meaningless, and haven't paid any attention to them since. I don't know what the new model weighs, but for what it's worth, the January 1995 issue of Motorcyclist magazine reported the actual weight of the KLR650 as 401 lbs. with a full tank of gas. Since gasoline weighs just over 6 lbs per gallon, depending on temperature, that means the old "lightweight" KLR weighed about 365 lbs. dry. I can see how the new model might have gained 20 lbs. from the larger wind protection, heavier forks, larger brakes, stronger wheels, redesigned rear end, plusher seat, etc.

What I wish Kawasaki had done is up the target price by $1500-$2000 to pay for the widest 6-speed gear spread in motorcycle history, and an all up wet weight of 350 lbs. But they have done their marketing research, and they apparently have concluded that what they have done is what the market will stand. My guess is the changes are well worth the extra 20 lbs., and for anyone who feels otherwise there is always the Husqvarna TE610, the KTM EX/C 525, the Honda XR650L, etc.
JoelReiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
Monterey_BS
Founding Member

I bought my 2001 new and will probably keep it forever. Given all the mods I've made, I couldn't sell it for anything near the investment. That's not the point, though. The KLR is a great platform for doing almost any kind of real world riding you might want to do. It works on the street. It works in the dirt. It works on reasonable trails. I've been all over and it has never failed. In fact, I rode 800 miles last weekend. I've read the tests and most of the mods seem to be close to what we've all had to do anyway (not the forks, but I did add a brace). It's not about the weight, no matter the accuracy. It's too heavy for technical stuff and for the rest the weight is moot. If you're even thinking about it, you'll probably be happy. It's a great ride!
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: 401 lbs?!?!

Jeez, does a truss come in the tool kit?

That's about what my ex-XB9SX weighed (give or take a few).

Oh well...