Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: 2008 KLR650 gains 50 pounds?

Oh, hell, if you're looking at a KLR the weight ain't the issue. It's a better bike than the old one and nothing did what it did for anywhere near the price. I asked my local dealer to let know when he got one in but I've never heard back. What a way to run a bike shop. Hey, if you're thinking of opening a bike shop in Western Maryland and understand ANYTHING about customer service, you will certainly have a competitive advantage.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #22
KLRer
Founding Member

Ive got an Aztec Red 05, one of the biggest sellers ever, I read recently. Its the one KLR 650 that actually looks pretty sharp from some angles, if you don't focus on the sail-like front fender. If you weigh 275 lbs or so, like most Americans, the 50 extra lbs with zippo extra hp or torque isnt welcome.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #23
JoelReiter
Founding Member

You think it's bad that your local guy isn't interested in contacting a buyer? I stopped at my dealer in January and asked him when he might be getting literature and he told me not to get excited, the new models were "mostly unchanged!"

I wish I would have had a copy of Kawasaki's press release with me at the time. I would have shoved it in his face and asked him if he was a stinking crook or just totally ignorant of his product he was selling. What a jerk.
JoelReiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #24
JoelReiter
Founding Member

I'm happy for you. But so far we have no evidence that the new ones weigh "50 extra pounds." As soon as a magazine gets one on its certified scale, I'll be back here with the number. And as far as "zippo extra hp or torque," the reviews on that are mixed and we'll have to wait for dyno results. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be taking any bets if I were you.

November 2008 -- Time for me to eat crow. The weight of the KLR is up a full 40 pounds, much worse than I feared. That's according to the full test in the November issue of Cycle World magazine. And their dyno did not show an increase in horsepower. 442 pounds and 38 horsepower is not a prescription for an exciting motorcycle.

Last edited by JoelReiter : 11-09-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #25
JoelReiter
Founding Member

Default Re: 401 lbs?!?!

Not quite. According to the same scale, the XB9SX weighs 449 lbs. To me, that's more than "a few."

Now then, a Suzuki SV650 comes in at 429. That may end up being within a few pounds of the 2008 KLR. If only Suzuki would put that jewel of an engine in a KTM Adventure style chassis, they could blow Kawasaki out of the water.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #26
SRMark
Founding Member

It's amazing some people stay in business.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #27
kemahbum
Founding Member

Thanks guys, for some very incisive responses to my post. You're all right on. No, I didn't think the old KLR weighted 337 lbs., but I don't think the new one weighs "only" 386 lbs., either. I was using the two figures in relative terms - the way we should view EPA new car MPG numbers. Regardless, I'm betting the bike weighs about fifty pounds more than the old one, whatever that was. I'll ride it before making a decision. If it's as good as I've heard, those pounds may have been put to very good use. At least for the street, where mine will spend much of its time.
kemahbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #28
tigerowner_ut
Founding Member

Default More like the specs are more truthful this tim around

True measured weight gain is 17lbs over the old. If I recall correctly the actual weight of the new bike is 404lbs.
tigerowner_ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #29
JoelReiter
Founding Member

Well according to a full road test in the November 2008 issue of Cycle World magazine, the all up weight of the new KLR with a full tank is 442 pounds. Even allowing for a little variance from Motorcyclist's scale to Cycle World's, that's up 40 pounds. That's just ridiculous. And word in the adventure touring forum is that it isn't selling very well now either.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Default That's not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelReiter View Post
And word in the adventure touring forum is that it isn't selling very well now either.
People tend to buy the 650s more for off road capability than highway comfort. If the KLR is going to weigh nearly as much as a Wee-strom what's the point?