Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
deanza
Founding Member

Default Re: The KLR Needs Another Cylinder.

Hey, I like Kawasakis too. But if Suzuki makes the best bike for my needs, I'd ride a Suzuki. Why not buy the V-Strom?
deanza is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Or for that matter, even a REAL motorcycle, instead O' that JapToyCrap.

/sarcasm
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Write Kawasaki, not us!

Kawasaki sells the KLE500 in Europe, which is basically the KLR650 but with the EX500 motor in it. They could put the Ninja 650 motor in that thing (it's actually lighter and more compact than the EX500) and that would be a hell of a bike...look how well Suzuki is doing with the wee-strom.

Come to think of it, why don't you just get a wee-strom?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Maybe I should have checked...

The Kawasaki Europe website before I posted the last comment...it turns out there is a new model for 2007 called the "Versys". It's the Ninja 650 motor in a big enduro-styled chassis, but with 17" wheels and big brakes. It even looks a little like the Wee-storm.

I don't think Kawasaki has plans to bring it here, and that's too bad...but you can email Kawasaki and ask them why they don't bring it in. If they got 3,000 emails pledging to buy one, you would probably see it here in 2008.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

They just make some changes to the KLR that have me thinking about it (wish they could have just got that 50lb loss thing done too!). Fella could have some fun around here with one.

Vibration? Why when I was 36 I rode around on those old thumpers and liked it I tell you!

I get the "Kawasaki" thing but if you don't like the V-strom just get one of those 800cc Beemers fer chrissakes!

Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
demanufacture
Founding Member

As someone who's ridden a KLR-650 on road and a DR-650 on and off road, I can say thumpers do have their place.

That DR could climb 45 degree dirt slopes like a mountain goat... heaps of torque from that SOB.

On the other hand we're talking a balancing act of mountain-climbing torque and roadworthy mid-high range.

My personal preference would be to save my pennies for the KTM Adventure 950 which has more than enough torque and off-roadability but loads of on-road performance.

Bah... what do I know...
demanufacture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
everiman
Registered Member

I think they heard ya in blighty,

http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/versys/def...sp?Sub=654AAA5
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Danasaki
Registered Member

For what its worth...

I also ride a KLR 650 as a daily commuter and love the bike. Well, mostly I love the bike. I too think it should have another 25 ponies or so (read another cylinder) if soley for the ability to combat highway speed traffic during my commutes. Off the line it is quick enough, but at speeds over 65 mph, I find it very difficult to be able to "scoot away" from traffic as it closes in around me from behind. I hate that feeling and always try to ride with a large space cushion around me, but that is not always possible. Being able to get away from potential dangerous cagers (isn't that all of them?) is a necessity on a motorcycle I believe, and the KLR just cannot do this. I know I would feel much more comfortable on this bike had it more adequate power for highway driving if just for the limited times we HAVE to ride highways and freeways on a big dirtbike.

Dan

Old 10-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
nweaver
Founding Member

Default The Versys...

Although the Versys is more of a "giant trailie" in the vein of the DL650 WeeStrom, its probaably similar in the dirt.

We don't get em here, but they get em in europe.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
iamz
Founding Member

The engine is well counterbalanced in the DR650. It's cheap, reliable, and doesn't vibrate.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote