Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Ninja 500 Aftermarket Parts?

It would have been the 650.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Actually, quite a few people raced these in years past. If you search the road-race oriented websites and message board, you will find a lot of information.

This website is down right now, but apparently it is the place to go:

http://www.ex500riders.com/

Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I am just wondering why you didn't just buy a faster bike to begin with and then just ride it. Why buy a new 500R and then try to make it faster? Maybe you have a valid reason.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 AM   #4
Roadrockinjohn
Founding Member

LMAO! At the end of a 13 hour shift with no breaks and a 10 minute lunch (if that's what midnight is to a night worker) that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. Seriously though, don't blow big money on mods, learn to ride it for what it is. . . very well. Good rubber, maybe a jet kit and slip on if you absolutely must. Get a little bling off ebay if you can't help yourself, then upgrade to your next bike in a year or three.

oh, maybe some plastic frame protectors, a repair manual and track days eventually.

have fun
Roadrockinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Don't bother with the engine...

The engine isn't the greatest, but it is actually fast enough for the street: just run it at high RPM if you want the Go juice to flow...

If you want to improve it, focus on brakes and suspension.

The front suspension in particular might as well be two pogo-sticks: take it to a real suspension house (eg, aftershocks or evolution suspension in the bay area) and get the forks redone with new springs and ideally cartridge emulators.

Go with a steel brake line (Its cheap on the 500, single disk and all), and consider replacing the pads.

Together this will be the best improvement, and bang/$, you can do to a Ninja 500. Then see about a new rear shock or an adaptor to use a cast-off 600ss rear shock.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
03zx12r
Registered Member

Too much to list. Starting serfing on line. Muzzy for the pipe. Step up the carb yourself. Ign advancer still available and loose the air box. It is fast - for a 500. Stock figures just below 50hp - should be able to get close to 60hp and under 400 lbs.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Maybe he was thinking of letting you ride it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just get out here to collect on the KPaul/Buell bet. I went cornfield touring without ya.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:19 AM   #9
racerraul
Founding Member

I had a Ninja EX250... that was a fun bike... Had a Muzzy full exhaust on it & that's it... I didn't see the point in messing with carbs for a few xtra HP... wouldn't have helped anyway...

I can only imagine how much more fun the ex500 might be. I would definitely only do the exhaust, not cause of power gains, but rather weight savings will likely have a bigger impact. Next the suspension upgrades will really help to if you plan on keeping it for a long time, but if the plan is to upgrade, just ride the ***** out of it.

My only gripe is that they didn't put 17x3.5 up front and at least a 17x4.5 in the rear so that premium rubber can be put on the bike... Maybe you can get some wheels off a salvage yard & have a shop put them on the bike if they fit...

Sport Naked - A raw yet sophisticated experience, undiluted and without the pretension of Ricky Racer. There are no anti-lock brakes or automatic clutches here, only artful steel and aluminum frames cradling a rich assortment of high-performance powerplants - naked, on display, and proud of it. Synonymous with Kawasaki Z1000
racerraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 AM   #10
obandoj
Founding Member

Love is in the air, he means cornhole touring.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote