Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Kawasaki News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/kawasaki-news/)
-   -   Cross country trip (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/kawasaki-news/3665-cross-country-trip.html)

macmanjim 06-13-2006 02:07 AM

Re: Cross country trip

1st post. Do it.

JLWarrior 06-13-2006 02:13 AM

I say do it. Just stop for an oil change and ride some back roads for the first hundred or two miles so you can vary the rpm's a lot.

longride 06-13-2006 02:20 AM

Can't think of a better way to buy a bike. You can make in in 4 days easy. Do it.

joepierce 06-13-2006 02:21 AM

I bought a 2001 Concours last spring (a year ago) in North Carolina and rode it back to NYC; then my GF and I did a 9200 mile 2-up trip around the country on it in June. Connie never asked for anything other than scheduled maintenance. We had a tremendous time. Blog and pics at:

http://joepierce.org/roadtrips/aroundamerica.php

In terms of riding: I found that 300-350 mile days were comfortable; 400 mile days were do-able; 450 mile days made me feel like I was dead in the morning. Some Ironbutts will say there's nothing like a 800 mile day to make you feel alive, but they're not talking about the _next_ day's ride, IMHO.

The Concours community is basically right about this bike: she's a good compromise between size, power, and maneuverability; she's a little buzzy, and I'm always aware that she's "low-tech;" and, if you do your scheduled maintenance, she'll never ever leave you stranded. Great long-distance bike.

The GF and I are planning a trip up to the Bay of Fundy in July. ;) It's comfy 2-up, too.

Whatmough 06-13-2006 02:21 AM

Ride it. At 3=750 or 4=560 mi. Now 560 miles a day for four days with your new motorcycle should be a thing of beauty. Go for it!

cls 06-13-2006 02:50 AM

I'm w/them. Do it. But it won't be as easy as they make it out to be. You're going to get a little tired and sore, especially since you're not used to the bike or riding that much. But, that's all part of the experience. Do it.

pushrod 06-13-2006 03:29 AM

Take a break every half tank. Stretch your shoulders, back, stomach and legs.

Oh, yeah. Get gas every other stop.

Have a HUGE time!

bradbarker738 06-13-2006 03:38 AM

I own a Concours. Yes, do the trip! You will get a little sore, but just take a pain reliever of some sort along with you. Get the oil changed once and have a grand time. I'd plan on 4 days btw.

SRMark 06-13-2006 04:08 AM

Take along Advil. One 800 mile day is no big issue if you can recover over the next several. However, stringing 3-4 500 to 750 mile days will make you sore in spots you never new you had. Build in some time for bad weather, road construction and illness. Something about eating away from home can stir the pot if you get my drift. Imodium really works. Take some sunscreen and put it anywhere any exposed skin pokes out. Four days of sun will cook you to bits if you don't pay attention. Make sure you have ear protection. The wind roar at 70 for four days can give you permanent hearing loss. Take along some sort of visor, shades, etc., to block low level sun and road-reflected light. Check your tire pressure before you leave and each morning there after. Poorly inflated tires on a big bike can result in complete tread removal in 2,000 miles. Install a throttle lock before you leave. Have the shop throw it in as part of the deal. The Connie will buzz a bit and will put your hands to sleep. The throttle lock will allow you to get the feeling back. Have fun, take some pictures, write it up and send it to MO.

MileHiXX 06-13-2006 04:17 AM

Hmmm... Let's see... You just bought a Sports Touring bike... Ride it!!! Ride back roads, secondary roads, highways and Interstates. Spend the time becoming one with your new bike. By the time you get back home, youll have a pretty good idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

Oh, and take the pain reliever BEFORE you ride, that works better than taking 'em after the aches start.