Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 06-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #21
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

Default Re: Cross country trip

Had the opportunity to travel across Australia by bike (R1100RT) about 10 yrs ago, did 11,000 kms in 3 weeks - loved it. Just to add to the advice, get your water sorted out, survival list etc - just in case! Pack a puncture repair kit (I needed mine after 500km on a new tyre), what helped me as I went across the Nullaboor was socks soaked in water around my neck and let evaporation do the rest. Do it you'll, never regret it and you may not have the chance to do it again - carpe diem! Keep us updated...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #22
Fenton
Founding Member

However many days it takes you is the right number. Water, advil, vented jacket and the right attitude.

Go hard in the mornings and then cruise around in the afternoons.

Vary the rpms and get your oil changed along the way.

Enjoy
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #23
mikenomad
Founding Member

The issue is not the bike, it's the rider. He says he's never taken a trip longer than commuting to work. If he learns the do's/don'ts of long-distance riding, his chances of putting on more miles per day are better.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #24
lindsey
Registered Member

I've owned two Connies, loving my second more than the first even. I'd recommend five days for that trip, think high mileage the first two, then descending mileage after. Have a blast, buddy, you're buying a gem of a bike. Fast, comfy, fun, bulletproof....
lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #25
03zx12r
Registered Member

Is this bike brand new? If it is not I would not want to make that trip alone. The bike has a OK rep, but this specific bikes reliability is unknown to you. I'd ship it until you know the bike and its reliability.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #26
crevans
Founding Member

Fly me out there and I'll ride it to Pennsylvania for ya in two days. Just make sure there's beer waiting for me at the end.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #27
xlr8r
Founding Member

I can't even imagine that sort of mileage within one country. From where I live, it would take me to Moscow. I can't imagine a Kawasaki Concours either, since they have never, ever, been sold in the UK. But after five years of reading MO I do know that they are the finest motorcycle ever to grace the world's asphalt, or so seruzawa says, so you have made absolutely the right choice. No harm can befall you.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #28
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Give yourself enough time so you don't have to ride after sunset. The Northeast is overrun with deer.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
tomnort
Registered Member

I shipped my Honda 450 over from Japan back in 1973 when I graduated from high school. I made the trip from San Fran to Detroit in 5 days. The vibration was horrific but the gas was cheap!

The Concours is a great machine and you will love the trip. Get up early and quit before you get exhausted. Take your camera and get some pix of the Grand Canyon if you're close.

Enjoy & God bless.
tomnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
Tigercub
Founding Member

Definitely do the trip!!

Don't know the bike, but I've heard they tour to the moon and back.

If I were you I'd plan on taking 7 days. That's about 350 miles per day and seems to be within your current conditioning. If you feel good and do 500+ miles then great!

Make it a vacation/sight-seeing tour coupled with bike transport back home.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote