Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 06-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Cross country trip

Do it. Just remember that it's going to be really really hot in Arizona. So if you don't already have a mesh jacket get one. You might plan your trip by heading north first to avoid the worst of the heat.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
bbtowns
Founding Member

I've ridden a Concours this kind of distance alot. That's a big ride to do in four days, but the bike won't hold you back. Make sure the tires are in good shape, the brake pads are good, the bike's had an oil change, etc. before taking off. It's a pretty bullet proof bike, so you won't be left stranded.

Get a Vista Cruise throttle lock, or at worst a Throttle Rocker, otherwise your set. Have a good ttrip.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #13
mikenomad
Founding Member

Go to www.ironbutt.com and read their tips for long-distance riding. They specialize in endurance riding, and the tips they give on how to prepare and strategies to make a long trip work will be very useful. If you've never taken a long trip, there's probably a lot you haven't considered, and 2240 miles in 4 days is probably not realistic -- you'll beat yourself to death. Figure more like 6 days. When you ride all day, the fatigue builds each successive day. If you push yourself hard, you'll end up getting frazzled and riding fewer hours each day. There are techniques for making this work. Check out the Iron Butt site.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The guy has a bike made for touring. 560 miles a day is too much? Maybe if he was riding my old Shovel!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:16 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Don't ship. Ride!

Just be careful riding in the Southwest during the middle of the day. The Concours spews up lots of heat from the fairing and it can easily get 115 degrees in the middle of nowhere.

How many days you you take to do it depends on what kind of roads you take. If it's Interstate, you can easily do it in four days. If you want to sightsee a bit, take a few more. This will be the trip of a lifetime.

Get a tankbag to keep water within easy reach. Have some Advil handy. Wear earplugs. They cut down on fatigue. Get a good airflow-type protective jacket so you can keep the sun off of you yet still have protection. My Bates jacket is excellent.

Once you do a trip like this, riding 150 miles in a day will seem like a warm up.

Submit a couple of posts on the way and let us know how you're doing.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:20 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I lived in AZ for a year and a half and one day it hit 123 degrees. I figured that was enough of AZ for me.

In the summer in San Diego, the AZ license plates out number the CA plates.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

I suggest Gatorade instead of water. One trip I did I rode 400 miles across the desert in one day at 110 degree temperatures, drank a gallon of Gatorade and never once had to take a pi$$. Since I was on a shovelhead the rear cylinder added that extra bit of "adventure". Although I can usually do 600 mile days that heat really wears you out quicker than you might think.

It's also helpful to stop at gas stations and drench yourself in water. A water battle with a shaker top is handy to douse yourself occasionally as you ride between drenches.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Arizona is worse than El Centro?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

We consider Imperial County part of AZ!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You didn't take a pi$$. It got shaken out of you and you just didn't know it.

I don't care for the taste of Gatorade. Smart Water adds electrolytes and such but it still tastes like plain old water.