Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 05-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
mjs
Founding Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R?

neither of these bikes could be considered a good starter bike

get something used and smaller to start with
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #2
03zx12r
Registered Member

For a newbie the 650 is a better choice, but better than that would be a smaller bike. The ZZR600 is a screamer - I just bought one for my wife. The ZZR is a 2000-2002 ZX6R missing the bracket for the inside of the fairing. Just shy of 100hp at the rear wheel - this is not a good choice for a starter. The 250 ninja is always in demand so if you ride it for a season you wont have a problem getting rid of it next year. Rethink your choices.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
jhinton
Registered Member

As the above post says, neither a ZZR or the Ninja 650 are good first bikes. Ideally you would get a dual sport and spend some time riding off road to learn how to react when a tire slides for the first time. If you want a sporty type street bike, I would recommend a naked bike. Something like a GS500E or possibly a Ninja 500.

The reason for this is simple, you will drop your first bike. You will probably drop it quite a few times. Nothing major just little stuff like stopping leaned over or something similar. If you drop a bike with a full fairing you just did a mimimum of $1000 damage to the plastic.

For a quick story, a friend of mine from work decided to get a bike. He took the MSF course and passed with flying colors. He found a used GS500E last week and I rode it back for him. Saturday he rode the bike around his subdivision for about 2 hours practicing the drills from the MSF class. He dropped the bike 4 times during that first ride. But the good thing is that the bike was light and easy to pick up, and without a fairing the only thing damage was a few scuffs on the bar ends and engine case and his pride.

I wont even go into insurance costs, but I would advise you to check with your insurance company before you buy anything.
jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
goodtime
Founding Member

I disagree, I think the 650R would be fine for you. I don't know your size, but you seem like a mature 20 yr. old and you are taking the MSF course. If you were to get a 250, I think you would be bored with it within a week. I don't want you hurt either, but unless you can find a cheap begginer bike go with that 650.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #5
slackmeister
Registered Member

This argument is always about grin-inducing power versus learning to handle the bike without the distraction of instantaneous triple-digit speeds.

I vote with the second category. Get yourself a used Ninja 250 or 500 and ride it for a year. You'll be glad you did, and when you do get that shiny new sportbike you'll be able to enjoy it instead of cowering in fear of ("respecting") the throttle. Good luck!
slackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:59 AM   #6
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

Hmmm...a little concern is raised when you say "I have come down to these 2, based on looks, reveiws, and insurance premiums for a soon to be 20 year old" and LOOKS comes before "reviews" and "insurance premiums". No disrespect to you at all, but this always seems a sure giveaway as to the maturity of a rider looking to buy. Looks should come pretty close to LAST on the list when naming starter bike qualities!! Seems like what youre really asking is "What do you think is the most reasonable unreasonable bike to buy that still looks cool?"

First and foremost, why a NEW bike??? There are TONS of good used bikes out there and used may be the way to go with the new market being relatively thin with "starter bike" candidates. I thought you said you were worried about insurance premiums? Yet you'll plunk down big $$ for a new bike out-the-dealer-door instead of saving decent $ on used? Doesnt make sense.

Another big advantage to used is a dealer will generally have no problem letting you test ride one (with a valid license). Try that with a new bike out of the crate....99 times out of 100, aint happening! At least not any dealers around me. Test riding multiple bikes is SUCH a nice luxury to have. One I bet many new bike buyers wish they had before getting stuck with that nice red Italian torture rack that sits in the garage looking pretty but can barely be ridden more than an hour at a time!

In all honesty, the ZZR and 650R are NOT starters. The true starters out there remain the EX500s and GS500s of the world. Maybe even the naked SV650 is a borderline starter. And there are tons to be found in the want ads or as trade ins at the dealer. I will admit that it does kind of stink that the drop off in technology from the 600 class to the "starter" class is pretty drastic. These bikes generally dont change much over time. But if you're really serious about LEARNING SAFELY and saving a few bucks, at the very least, save the brand new purchase for later down the road.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 AM   #7
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

"you seem like a mature 20 yr. old"????? Dude, you dont know this kid from a hole in the wall and you recommend the 650R because he "seems" mature to you based on the fact he's taking the MSF course???? The fact he's looking new before even TAKING the course seems to me an indication he may be in over his head with those choices.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:11 AM   #8
GaryR
Registered Member

Buy the Ninja 650R, we added one to our stable four months ago. My wife has put almost 2000 miles on it so far this year in Pa snow and rain. Looks good, runs like a watch you will get a lot of years of riding, learning and enjoyment not found on the more focused ZZR.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:14 AM   #9
Whatmough
Founding Member

With a handle like Blade-Of -Justice, I'd suggest a Duc 999, now there's a blade that will dispense instant justice.

I have a friend about your age who bought the GS500 last year and put 3,000 miles on just putting around the state, no long trips. He's ready for a 600 now and is looking at GSX, R6 etc. If you're willing to take a hit on a trade after a year do it. If not I don't see the 650 as a killer bike. With advice from the MSF instructor and all of your newfound MC buddies you'll figure it out. Nothing wrong with a 599 Honda either.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
PrairieDog
Registered Member

Blade of Justice,

First of all, I would like to commend you for your choice to take the MSF Basic Rider Course. I wish more folks would do so. Oh, I just remembered, you're 20, so you are mandated to do so! Hope it was your choice to take it though.

The course is an excellent STARTING POINT for learning to ride a motorcycle. It will provide you with the skills for safely riding a motorcycle. However, you must still make a choice as to the way you ride - safely or otherwise.

That being said, I would choose the Ninja650R as your first bike. The bike was designed just for beginning riders. There is nothing that says you need to whack the throttle open wide each time you plan to accelerate. As I said, only you can decide on the type of rider you want to be!

Ride safe!

PrairieDog is offline   Reply With Quote