Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #71
caffine
Registered Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R?

Well put!
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 PM   #72
zenpixel
Registered Member

kawi ex500 no doubt.

more important, you're in FL, right? do you intend to wear a helmet?

last time I was there, I was the only person wearing one. most everyone else had on tank-tops and flip-flops and no helmet.

zenpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #73
Nem
Registered Member

I asked the same question three years ago, and got the same mixed responses.

Went my own way, bought a real cheap dual sport 650 single, farted around on the thing, slowly finding the limits, starting by the least dangerous ones (like basic balance) in every respective iteration, and just kept practicing everything every way I could think of, till it was all second nature and I felt as comfortable as if the bike was my legs and the tires the skin of my feet.

Sold the piece of crap and converted a 450 SX to road use and I'm happy.

In 6 months I move back to the US and I'll get something heavier like a speed triple, tuono, or sportbike..

Point is, even if you need to use the bike as transportation, two/three months dedicated to learning the snot out of the cheapest functional bike you can find is plenty.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 AM   #74
Tadgh
Registered Member

you converted a ktm 450 motocrosser for the road ? why didnt you just buy the exc instead ? i had the sx and the suspension when not being pounded with 150foot table tops was about as flexible as an iron bar
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:24 AM   #75
busa99999
Founding Member

All this to big bike stuff is unfounded till you take into account age,size and primary use. My first ride was a KZ 750 followed by a FZ 600 then a Ninja 750 then a FJ 1200 THat covers 1978 till a 1990. Then the GSXR and FZR big blocks could be handled. A 650r would be a great first bike. A ZX -6R is a bike that used with a little restraint would be a keeper no need to trade up .
busa99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #76
mosepeda2000
Founding Member

I started on a 2003 636 and believe me if you have patience, desire, and care, you can learn on any bike...I am still riding this same bike and have never even come close to dropping. 11k+ miles and still happy I didn't listen and trusted my truthful judgment of my character to start on the 636 instead of a 250...Anyone recommending a 250 has merits but be real, riding 2000 miles and then switching to a 600 is like starting over...This is my opinion and know quite a few people who started on 600s and not smaller bikes. All of them have not dropped a bike and most have been riding over three years. Revving 14k to get any umph is pretty frustrating so if you like this idea then get a 250.
mosepeda2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #77
TMAC34
Registered Member

The 2007 zzr600 is my first bike and I have not come close to dropping it. I think if you ride within your limitations and respect the bike you should be fine.
TMAC34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #78
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default 500cc or larger

Lots of people say get a 250 then upgrade. That makes perfect sense if you're fearful of having a bit too much power (from a newbie standpoint), or want something uber light to learn on, but seriously, if you take the MSF course first, you'll have an idea if a 250 is sufficient. My guess is you'll outgrow a 250 in 3-6 months.

I took the MSF many years back and bought a naked 500cc bike as my first. It was a bit top heavy, but I took it out and practices for a few weeks -- including taking a long ride the first month I owned it -- and you learn you can adapt to ANY bike after learning how it feels going both slow and fast. The key is keeping the speed down and practicing with the weight/balance. I dropped mine a few times the first year on gravel or putting around, but learning how to pick it up and balance was invaluable. I do recommend going for an unfaired bike your first time, so you don't get stuck with sticker shock the first time you tip it over or drop it at low speed. Get your kick-ass, fully faired sportbike after you get some confidence and skill first.

I'd recommend you get a older GS 550, Seca II, Nighthawk 650, or Interceptor 500 (if you find 'em) to start with and your budget's tight, but a 650R or SV650 are both perfectly suitable starter bikes if you respect 'em. The ZZR is probably more sportbike than you need to start, and a twin is easier to learn to ride slow on.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote