Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 05-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #51
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Gadzooks!

Why not have the lad juggle chainsaws too?

If that's the case I've got a nice purple tank 750 triple out back he can have for real cheep....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #52
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Knock on Buz

LOL touche.. I have battery tender now...Works great...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #53
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R?

My first bike ever was a 98 zx6r. Fantastic machine in every way. It was probably too much bike to start out with, but I forced an extreme level of dicipline on myself (not easy, I'm a little impulsive) and had a great time without ever putting it down even once. As much as I love my FZ1, I really do miss that bike. Must be something about that first bike that leaves us all a little misty when thinking about it.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #54
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I'd strongly suggest you take the MSF course before buying any bike. As a former instructor, I found many people had already bought a motorcycle and either couldn't control the bike (believe me, some people should never get on a motorcycle) or didn't like riding nearly as much as they thought they would. If you pass the course and enjoy riding, I'd suggest a used bike such as a Ninja 250 (if you aren't too big), an EX500, or a standard SV650. You will learn to control a motorcycle better with higher handlebars versus the low clip-on types of the SV650 'S' model. The SV standard would be my first thought because the motor is so user friendly. It is easy to control, but once you really learn how to ride, it is strong enough to provide many grins. Also, the less plastic on the bike, the cheaper to repair if it hits the tarmac. There are tons of used ones around at very reasonable prices. There is one of the best support groups on the internet when you go to www.svrider.com and link up to the forum. I have been riding for 43 years, mostly the "latest & greatest" crotch rockets and I swear the SV650s were the most fun I've had on two wheels. No matter what anyone tells you, if you have a modi***** of common sense and a reasonable respect for the dangers of motorcycle riding, the SV is not too much bike for a new rider. Trust me, a rider hell-bent on destroying his bike and body will do it no matter how many horsepower is stuck between his legs. Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #55
Dangerousdave_2
Founding Member

There are two kinds of riders; those who have dropped their bikes, and those who will. Get a yr or two old bike (Dirt bike, if you have a place to ride it, SV 650 if you don't) I absolutely guarantee you that that 650 will be WAY faster than you are for at least a year. Maybe it will be all you ever need, if you are as 'Mature' as some of us think.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #56
johnnyb
Founding Member

What's new Mary, Babs and Daphne? Anything? Whatever you do make sure u r color coordinated and plan ahead to Accessorize properly.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #57
Dangerousdave_2
Founding Member

Aren't you the guy that used to own a yacht?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #58
Dangerousdave_2
Founding Member

Well, this is a guy who mentioned looks as first on his list. Getting through the first year without killing yourself is the trick. By that time, you maybe know what kind of riding you like. Let's not get the kid killed in the first month or two. I know you're just trying to get some ***** stirred, but really, this kid has no Freakin Idea how fast a ZZR 600 is. Even an EX 500 can kick the crap out of about any car you're likely to find on the street. When he can corner with the big boys on a 500 or 650, he's ready to deal with rolling on power coming out of the corner.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #59
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Re: Drop

The funny thing is, I actually dropped my very first two wheeler, a Vespa 200, right after I got it 20 years ago. I had that thing for about 4 months, and quickly learned that bigger wheels and engines make for way more fun, but it really is the easiest thing to keep upright, yet somehow I got it to drop right about the second time I stopped it. It happens.

Since then I have owned and ridden maybe 20 bikes, from HD to Ducati to R1150GS to R100RS to 77 KZ1000, and I haven't dropped one again. Okay, there was that one tieme a bug flew into my helmet and I pulled off the road too quickly into the gravel, dropped my bike and had a helluva time getting it back up considering that it had fallen downslope into a ditch. But mostly I have an easy time keeping bikes way heavier and with much higher centers of gravity upright, even though I dropped a Vespa.

Kinda funny, but I can relate to dropping the first one, no matter how big it is.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #60
Doopster
Founding Member

Go for the ZZR600, it's a better bike and will have better resale and chicks will prefer it. It's more dangerous but then you'll get more credibility with it and chicks like "dangerous" guys.

I did accelerated courses to get to my full license quick and went from no riding to a 2004 Honda CBR1000rr in 6 weeks. Sure I was frightened but a 2 years later I'm getting the bike right over in the twisties with a massive grin on my face.

I got immediate respect because I was riding a hot bike, no one can tell you're a ***** rider on the street.

PS don't kill or maim yourself.

Doopster is offline   Reply With Quote