Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 05-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #41
ksquid
Banned

Default Knock on Buz

I haven't either... I never dropped anything with two wheels... Buz drops names
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #42
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R?

Good advice Excellent Post
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #43
kcosby
Registered Member

either would be fine if you respect and learn to ride them. I've heard the BS about buying a "smaller blah blah blah bike" to begin on but I never bought into that......inexperience leading inexperience, or should I say the blind leading the blind will always give you that pseudo politically correct advice. Buy what you want up front and you don't have to wish later. I've owned about 25 bikes in my 39 years and personally, the ZZR is the most bang for the buck to start on of the two. You may not want to ride wheelies at this point in your life but if you decide to learn later, the ZZR is the better bake to do this with and will have plenty of usable power. Also, for "sport touring" for whatever that means, the ZZR is better and more comfortable to put in some miles.
kcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #44
motocicleta
Registered Member

my first street bike was a 250 ninja and it suited me perfectly. i was living in austin tx at the time it i had no trouble keeping up with traffic on 35 and mopac and the bike being very comfortable and unintimidating made it the right choice for commuting and parking around downtown and the round rock area. perhaps the 500 ninja would have been just as good but the 250 had plenty of power and good looks (often mistaken by the uninitiated as an older 600), it handled well and it had some great features like the luggage hooks, helmet lock and center stand all as standard equipment. i sold the bike to a friend and 7 years later it is still running great.

sorta off topic but concerning the zzr600 i am curious: will the older 2000-2002 zx-6r aftermarket parts fit on this rereleased new bike? i'm thinking of a middleweight sport/tourer type bike for commuting and atm i'm deciding between the zzr600 and the cbr600f4i. i'm leaning toward the zzr600 and i got a friend with a few left overs from his 2001 zx6r (i.e. cosmetic accesories) so it would be great if the parts would work on this newer version.
motocicleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #45
PeterH
Founding Member

Of those get the 650R, but be prepared to take a hit on resale. Two other thoughts, when I took the MSF course many years ago my instructor reminded me that the only thing I was qualified to do was ride a 125cc bike around a parking lot at 15mph. MSF does not teach you to ride as much as it teaches you to think. I second all the other recs--get a non-faired bike for your first. 2-3000 bucks for a simple drop which can happen if you stall pulling away from a stop while in a turn. Finally don't scoff at the NINJA 250 suggestions. The smallest Ninja will teach you how to ride both quickly and well (you have to be really smooth and on top of it to go fast) More power for a newbie leads to a reliance on the right hand to make time. I still have a 125 (MZ) which I enjoy as much as my big bore bikes. (Duc 999, Breva 1100 and R!)
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #46
500Rider
Registered Member

the zzr 600 is a great bike. I had a 2000 zx-6r and that thing amazed me every time I rode it. That thing accelerated so hard when I opened 'er up that it made me a little dizzy.

You mentioned that you are not a fast driver. If that is the case, why are you looking at a bike that is this fast?

Getting a true sport bike means expensive tires. Insurance may be less for the 600 than for the 650 (my sv650s cost me an extra 10 dollars per month cause of those extra 50 ccs).

You will often read that it is a big comfy couch, well that is really only true when comparing it to other sport bikes.

When ever anyone asks me about buying a starter bike, I always recommend used (hey, why not get a used zx-6r if you are really hot for the zzr).

500Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #47
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: Drop

How about "There's a good chance you'll drop it." Lots of people do. Some people don't.

It's something to take into consideration.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #48
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

If you buy used, pay cash and you live in the Sunshine State, you can skip the insurance on the bike. Just make sure you get a personal protection policy for yourself. But get a good full faced helmet, some riding boots (no tennis shoes or flip flops, a common sight in Fla.) a good jacket w/padding and some gloves. Makes me break out in a sweat just thinking about it Oh yea, unless you live out in the countryside, skip riding in rush hour traffic until you get some seat time.

As for the bike, I suggest a dual sport, probably the most fun bike to learn on.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #49
Klay
Founding Member

I would get a little used XT225 or DR200 dual sport. Ride it a lot, then pick out a bigger bike. Then keep the little dual sport...you won't want to get rid of it! It's always nice to have more than one bike.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #50
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Knock on Buz

Bikes generally don't fall over on their kickstands with dead batteries.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote