Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R?

Having suffered the slings and arrows of many years of motorcycling I still can't get over the looks of my first motorcycling love, the 1970 Yamaha R-5. It won't do anything for you but it sure did something for me. There is just no way not to let looks enter into the picture when buying your first bike. It is ALL about the passion. And yes, I did learn on a tiddler dirt bike and the R-5 came later because it was no starter bike back then.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #22
Cam
Registered Member

I'd like to strongly reinforce previous remarks by saying that you need to get a smaller bike to start with - a Ninja 250 is best.

Short story: I helped a friend of mine buy his first motorcycle - a used Ninja 250 - and was there when he toodled around on it in a parking lot for the first time. He's now licensed, insured, and will spend his first season on the bike.

While he was toodling around the parking lot, he inadvertantly slipped the clutch a bit - panicked - hit the gas, then dumped the clutch the rest of the way - with the 250 turning 6k at least. He didn't get bucked off, and learned a valuable lesson about alertness and vehicle control.

A similar event (newbie error) on the ZZR or 650R would put you onto your new protective gear watching the new bike disintegrate into $1000s of damage.

Learning on a light, forgiving, and bulletproof bike will pay dividends down the road. Please rethink your choices.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 AM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: No, no. get something smaller...

Don't get a 650 as a first bike. Get an old thrashed Honda 100 that you can drop a whole bunch without any major damage to you and the machine.

I had a buddy in the Navy who never rode beore, and he went out and bought a Kawasaki 750 twin as his first motorcycle. After snapping off dozens of clutch levers and turn-signals, riding feet-down through intersections, etc. I insisted he ride my CB100 for a while to get use to riding before he killed himself.

After that he was pretty good. Didn't fall down nearly as much. And I got to ride his 750 for a few weeks.

Be carefull out there.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 AM   #24
johnnyb
Founding Member

IT'S LIKE SMOKING! BETTER JUST TO NOT START. get a Camry with airbags man.

er, actually that 650R looks like a near-perfect first bike. Light, skinny, with handlebar up in an easy place to grab. 2 bad they don't sell the naked one here, what's up with that? you could remove fairing lowers first week or 2 just in case...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:17 AM   #25
johnnyb
Founding Member

Jeesus what a bunch o sissies. come on girls...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:22 AM   #26
Weezel
Registered Member

Believe it or not, a used '00 or '01 BMW F650GS. Easy to ride, you can go on easy dirt for practice (or fun). Retail price dropped $1K this year and used ones (though hard to find) may seem pricey, but a year later, you will sell it for exactly what you paid for it with virtually no depreciation. Insurance costs will also be minimal. And you can ride across the country on it, if you want. If you lived in any country in the world other than the US and Japan, this is what you would get.
Weezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:32 AM   #27
davidhaner
Founding Member

I agree about the ninja250, although I upgraded after 3 months to an sv650s.

However, I disagree about not dropping your bike. You got lucky if you never did when you were first learning. I dropped the 250 once, and I dropped the sv650s once on an oil patch at 2 miles per hour. It happens when you are learning. I'm glad I didn't have a bike with full fairings (I guess the 250 does but who really cares much there. )
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #28
davidhaner
Founding Member

Yeah, really.. the ninja 250 isn't that different. Tops out at 105 and has a 0-60 of 5.4.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #29
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: Obscene post...

Better.. Get an old v-twin honda hawk. Those are great, and the bike itself will be cheap.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #30
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Whatever you get, buy it used because you WILL be dropping it if it is your first bike.

Buy the gear - jacket, helmet, gloves - the first time you fall you will thank yourself.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote