Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Kawasaki News

Old 12-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
den111
Founding Member

Default Re: Uncorking A GZ 1000??

#1!!!
den111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You'll have a slightly louder, 20 year-old motorccyle.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
racerjak
Registered Member

Uncork it??? Just take off the gas cap and slide something new under it. That 80`s bike needs much more than uncorking it!!!
racerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

I added a turbocharger and nitrous oxide. I'm considering converting to chain drive so I can gear the bike taller to take advantage of the added horsepower.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default It's already perfect!

If you just had to have a new scoot, and were thinking of becoming fashion-conscious (perish the thought!) you could buy another perfect bike, like an SV650 or maybe an Interceptor if you're feeling rich.

Alternately, you could get custom paint: have the Connie done up like a Klingon Bird-of-Prey (green and rust). Then the creaking and groaning might seem more natural; plus, the two are about the same size.

Seriously, i know a guy who got slip-ons and jet kit for his connie from Dale Walker (holeshot.com). It certainly sounds better, insofar as it now sounds like a bike instead of a malnourished sewing machine. They have dyno charts and everything on their site. I think Ivan makes a jet kit for the bike, and Staintune makes cans, but don't quote me on those.

You can get some good performance for the money, but Buz is right, the design is just old. So even opening the cans up still leaves the carb bodies too small and the headers likewise too narrow a diameter. Plus, she's no lightweight. I'd do end-cans (staintune if available, for maintenance puposes) and a stage I kit. Also, I'd do the suspension. Anything more, and you're throwing good money after bad.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
MCD
Founding Member

Thanks for all the info. I bought my 93 connie about 4 months ago for a commuter (140 mi. rt) and was wondering if removing the air box and opening the exhaust would give any benifits on the road. Generally my morning run is at 80 to 100 since the traffic is really light, and afternoon the carpool lane is good for the same.

MCD
MCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
thePharaoh
Registered Member

Stop picking on the ZG1000. It is still a good value new, and better used. Just the thing for the ageing liter bike pilot family man with no time and no money. Ready to ride alot farther and faster than most people I ride with. And, you can carry stuff on it, which leads to more riding. Do get the Rifle fairing, it's worth it and transforms the bike.

I do have one beef with it (besides the 600#), it can be very hard to start when ambient temp is much less than 40 DegF. Cranks, but seems lean. Has anyone tried a DynoJet carb kit (say, Stage 1) for the purpose of better cold weather starting? Much effect on the mileage? Thanks for any arcane knowledge in this area.

thePharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
fl34
Founding Member

It is what it is. I am on my second one. Should have kept the first one because other than it getting a little old (1986) nothing was wrong with it. They are stealthy, dependable, very functonal and if you are a real rider- it will serve you well.They are fun, weather proof and because being a "poser" isn't an issue, the cops aren't inclined to look at you. As an aside I also own,for all the wrong reasons, a sv1000s with cans.
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Why bother? Spend that spare cash on trips.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

When the upgraded exhaust costs more than the bike is worth, one should probably spend that cash on hookers and beer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote